What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This start and the Denver sports media

Things in the local print media have gone so far downhill since CU’s heyday.
I agree. But CU has no one to blame but themselves for the loss of coverage and fans. 10 years of bad choices leads to where we are now. That said, Colorado loves a front runner and the stadium will be pretty full for the next game!

Things in the local print media have gone so far downhill since CU’s heyday. I was reminded of that reading the AZCentral pre and post game stuff. Back then, there were tons of articles on the Buffs. They would do the “Keys to the Game” article with strengths and weeknesses of each unit of both teams. They would have pick ‘em contests where staff writers and a celebrity of the week would pick college and pro games. The Buffs had top notch, dedicated staff writers and the columnists often wrote about the Buffs. While the Broncos were preeminent, the Buffs were a close second.
The way it's going, I think where you will start finding that as it grows is at The Athletic. I'm not sure why the DP doesn't cross-publish more of the stuff from Howell and Rooney, though. They do a lot of good work for the Camera with the type of thing you're talking about.

It will be nice if/when The Athletic picks up CU coverage. I have to assume they're working on it, as they've nearly filled out all their pro-sports staff.

I just think it is going to take sustained success by the Buffs AND people in the Denver/Metro area are going to need to really show a natural interest in it. The media will come around.

Some good stuff on the Ralphie Report but no one comments on it. Sad because the Rockies, Broncos and Nuggets sites kill.

So the Buffs need to be top 10 out of 110++ D1A programs to get talked about and yet the Broncos are in the bottom 10 of NFL teams and that's all they talk about. Interesting bar he has set there.

By the way, I made the tragic error of assuming the Raiders were good because of how well they played early against the Broncos. The Broncos came back and won, so then (logic) the Broncos were pretty solid this year in my mind.

Nope. They're both ****ty.

I agree. But CU has no one to blame but themselves for the loss of coverage and fans. 10 years of bad choices leads to where we are now. That said, Colorado loves a front runner and the stadium will be pretty full for the next game!
The Lost Decade

So the Buffs need to be top 10 out of 110++ D1A programs to get talked about and yet the Broncos are in the bottom 10 of NFL teams and that's all they talk about. Interesting bar he has set there.

By the way, I made the tragic error of assuming the Raiders were good because of how well they played early against the Broncos. The Broncos came back and won, so then (logic) the Broncos were pretty solid this year in my mind.

Nope. They're both ****ty.

I think they'd like to talk about CU more, but ratings is what drives their content so all Broncos all the time. Personally I'm ok with Mike Evans not talking about CU Football cause he's really really really really bad at it.

I think they'd like to talk about CU more, but ratings is what drives their content so all Broncos all the time. Personally I'm ok with Mike Evans not talking about CU Football cause he's really really really really bad at it.

Mike Evans is awful with everything. I remember he had some hot takes on the Avs last season and I ended up mixing it up with him on Twitter. And he has an annoying voice. One of the primary drivers as to why I don't listen to The Fan anymore.

Mike Evans is awful with everything. I remember he had some hot takes on the Avs last season and I ended up mixing it up with him on Twitter. And he has an annoying voice. One of the primary drivers as to why I don't listen to The Fan anymore.

Its not just that, but the fact that you can go on sites like this one, or Adam's, or Denverstiffs, or PurpleRow, and get better content and discussion than you can with talk radio. Altitude radio is good for it, but I still prefer the alternative.

Did they seriously tell you that? Wow
Yep, they said if I had nothing positive to contribute to stop texting...
Said I was positive DBag was a complete ****ing idiot
They said to stop texting...I said no...
Called the show a couple times also, they wouldn't put me on...
called them chicken ****s and said I would continue to text then.

Yeah this is the rub. We all want the local media to start talking about the Buffs, but none of them really know much about the Buffs. Nobody that frequents AllBuffs would be satisfied with any amount of Buffs coverage from The Fan because it'd be the most dry, basic, and uneducated commentary. The Denver Post ran an article on CU's offense in preseason, and didn't even mention Shenault. That's the kind of coverage we're asking for more of, tbh, so I'll just stick to reading AllBuffs, 247, and the guys like Klatt and other CFB analysts who know what they're talking about.

Yeah this is the rub. We all want the local media to start talking about the Buffs, but none of them really know much about the Buffs. Nobody that frequents AllBuffs would be satisfied with any amount of Buffs coverage from The Fan because it'd be the most dry, basic, and uneducated commentary. The Denver Post ran an article on CU's offense in preseason, and didn't even mention Shenault. That's the kind of coverage we're asking for more of, tbh, so I'll just stick to reading AllBuffs, 247, and the guys like Klatt and other CFB analysts who know what they're talking about.
They are getting asked about the Buffs now. What we need to make sure of is that the "experts" they talk to actually know anything. Klatt's a great guest and representative. McChesney and Logan are alums that stay connected, but they both have opinions that are influenced heavily by prep football and wanting to see local players get scholarship opportunities at CU. The worst is when they turn to guys like Alfred Williams as the "expert". If you don't visit the team or coaches and don't pay much attention to college football, you are not an expert on the Buffs simply because you played for them 25 years ago. The positive here, though, is a guy like Alfred can quickly make himself an expert with the access he would have -- and he will if he keeps getting asked the questions and talking Buffs is important for his job.

Last edited:
They are getting asked about the Buffs now. What we need to make sure of is that the "experts" they talk to actually know anything. Klatt's a great guest and representative. McChesney and Logan are alums that stay connected, but they both have opinions that are influenced heavily by prep football and wanting to see local players get scholarship opportunities at CU. The worst is when they turn to guys like Alfred Williams as the "expert". If you don't visit the team or coaches and don't pay much attention to college football, you are not an expert on the Buffs simply because you played for them 25 years ago. The positive here, though, is a guy like Alfred can quickly make himself an expert with the access he would have -- and he will if he keeps getting asked the questions and talking Buffs is important for his job.
I would love for Alfred to get back into the know with the Buffs and really ramp up his talk about them on the radio. Love him or hate him, he drives that show (which is the highest rated sports show in the market) because of his personality. Chad Brown is the closest thing this market has to a Buffs expert. He is fully engaged with the college game as he calls them for P12N. He should be the main resource on that station when discussing Buffs and let the other idots learn.

Whatever, never saw it or Caddyshack for that matter. Too busy raising a family.
giphy.gif

I would love for Alfred to get back into the know with the Buffs and really ramp up his talk about them on the radio. Love him or hate him, he drives that show (which is the highest rated sports show in the market) because of his personality. Chad Brown is the closest thing this market has to a Buffs expert. He is fully engaged with the college game as he calls them for P12N. He should be the main resource on that station when discussing Buffs and let the other idots learn.
For sure on Brown. Likewise, but to a lesser extent, Bloom stays connected and also continues to work in CFB media. He's a solid expert interview for any of these shows if/when they want to talk CFB and Buffs.

Clough does his research which is a big step compared to some of the others on the station. I disagree with some of his thoughts on college football and he is clearly a CSU fan but he uses logic and connections when talking about the CU football and basketball programs. I think Zach Bye is the only one outside or Alfred to go up to Boulder and see a football game this year though which is absolutely crazy if you ask me, he is the newest one and has no connections to the state.

Rick Lewis was talking Buffs for a few minutes this morning on 103.5. But, he ended his comments by saying, maybe they'll win the Pac12 South this year. They've never done that before.

*sigh*

Can allbuffs tweet at him?
Already did. Heard that as well. So damn irritating, and Rick Lewis tries to at least be intelligent and fair when discussing football.

Rick Lewis was talking Buffs for a few minutes this morning on 103.5. But, he ended his comments by saying, maybe they'll win the Pac12 South this year. They've never done that before.

*sigh*

Oh FFS.

I texted in last week to The fan during Klatt's segment about how that would be a perfect time to talk Buff's.

Evans replied:

"not their time yet. only four games in. too much other stuff going on. They need to be ranked around top ten to become a true Denver sports story. Right now they're a CU story. Not enough to keep avg sports fan interested. Evans"

CU Football is the best Colorado sports story right now IMO.
Evans is a dumb ****

*sigh*

Rick Lewis is a clown. I'm still confused as to what his qualifications to be the color guy on 850 KOA......

Whatever, never saw it or Caddyshack for that matter. Too busy raising a family.
I used this excuse for having never seen Step Brothers. I'm not kidding when I say I never even heard of the movie. Sure enough, it came out when my oldest was 4 and my youngest 1. Everyone laughed at me. I did go back and watch it within the next month. It was reasonably funny, but not as good as they made it out to be.

Just remember, don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher, Basho, once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Rick Lewis is a clown. I'm still confused as to what his qualifications to be the color guy on 850 KOA......
Primarily, he has good chemistry with Dave Logan. He played football in high school, a bit in college, and some a semi pro fashion so he has a pretty good idea of what is going on.

Clough does his research which is a big step compared to some of the others on the station. I disagree with some of his thoughts on college football and he is clearly a CSU fan but he uses logic and connections when talking about the CU football and basketball programs. I think Zach Bye is the only one outside or Alfred to go up to Boulder and see a football game this year though which is absolutely crazy if you ask me, he is the newest one and has no connections to the state.
Not crazy at all. To someone new to the Denver sports scene, the current state of affairs with the all-consuming Broncos focus with so little attention paid to everything else is what's crazy. It's absolutely bizarre.

To put it in perspective, here's a hypothetical. Let's say that this week 2 things happen: 1) Undefeated & ranked Buffs win at USC; and, 2) Backup player on Broncos is placed on IR and someone gets promoted from the practice squad to fill the 53. Which do you think will get more air time and inches of print in the Denver sports media?

Back