What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This start and the Denver sports media

I won't criticize this. I'm not a huge fan of those types of comedies (I realize lots of people are -- to each their own). Caddyshack was funny when I was 10, but by the time I was an adult, movies like Office Space never hit my radar.

I started my second career as a software engineer in my 30's in 2007 and finally watched Office Space shortly after that, at the insistence of a few colleagues (it's now considered nearly as required viewing for engineers as Holy Grail). I probably had 12 moments during that viewing when I went, "oh shjt, I completely missed that reference that <person> was making". I remember apologizing to a few people the following Monday for missing their joke and making them feel awkward with my non-reaction at the time.
You should check out Silicon Valley on HBO too.

I kinda liked when he and CJ had their show. Loved all the CU talk and the insider info that they presented. Plus occasionally (or often) it devolved into a sophomoric humor show, which I was happy to hear! Remember more than once sitting in my car after having arrived at a destination listening to those goofballs and laughing my ass off.

^ This. I always liked their show.

Yesterday, Full Ride on SiriusXM talked Buffs, Mark Packer talked Buffs, Gameday sent a crew to Boulder to interview Laviska. CU is quickly becoming a national story all the while local media wont touch the Buffs with a ten foot pole. Disappointing. That said, if CU keeps winning this will take care of itself.

Yesterday, Full Ride on SiriusXM talked Buffs, Mark Packer talked Buffs, Gameday sent a crew to Boulder to interview Laviska. CU is quickly becoming a national story all the while local media wont touch the Buffs with a ten foot pole. Disappointing. That said, if CU keeps winning this will take care of itself.

Don't forget about the Campus Conversation podcast with ESPN's "playoff expert" lol

I do find it very telling that national media deems it appropriate to cover the Buffs but the local media hasn’t quite figured it out.

Meanwhile, the Broncos don’t even register on the national media radar. A total non-story.

i lived in Boulder for 28 years until recently, worked at CU for 10 years almost and DU for a year....and been all over a bit.....Boston, Nashville, Norman/OKC, Dallas, in New Mexico now....never seen any place where the big city pro sports first media has such animosity to the local university town/college itself/sports team thereby.

i don't get it. it hurts the university and in state recruiting a lot. weird.

i can't believe Mike Evans still gets paid. i quit sports radio 15 years ago at least. guy has always been a moron.

I do find it very telling that national media deems it appropriate to cover the Buffs but the local media hasn’t quite figured it out.

Meanwhile, the Broncos don’t even register on the national media radar. A total non-story.
The national *college football* media is covering the Buffs a little bit more right now. Your statement would only be valid if the local sports media actually cover college athletics.

i lived in Boulder for 28 years until recently, worked at CU for 10 years almost and DU for a year....and been all over a bit.....Boston, Nashville, Norman/OKC, Dallas, in New Mexico now....never seen any place where the big city pro sports first media has such animosity to the local university town/college itself/sports team thereby.

i don't get it. it hurts the university and in state recruiting a lot. weird.

i can't believe Mike Evans still gets paid. i quit sports radio 15 years ago at least. guy has always been a moron.
I don’t think they have any animosity toward CU, but they have a clear directive from their producers, subsequently from the station executives, to discuss what gets the ratings. We’re in the midst of only the second season in the last 12+ years that CU has had a relevant football team worth discussing. We obviously dislike it as the most die hard Buff fans, but I think it’s fairly easy to understand why they don’t get consistent run.

I don’t think they have any animosity toward CU, but they have a clear directive from their producers, subsequently from the station executives, to discuss what gets the ratings. We’re in the midst of only the second season in the last 12+ years that CU has had a relevant football team worth discussing. We obviously dislike it as the most die hard Buff fans, but I think it’s fairly easy to understand why they don’t get consistent run.

animosity might be a strong word but in OKC or Dallas or Nashville the local teams get a good amout of homerism and booster from the city media. they just do. i'm going back to the mid 80's here......and i have never seen the Denver media get behind CU much.

Denver is unique a bit since there are so many transplants and it's easier for those people to adopt the local pro teams than college if those people went to Wisconsin or Texas or whatever.....i get that.....so, yeah, they are playing to ratings (and they have a ton of demographic info).....but, still.....it's not like other places where the local teams are a big part of what is going on in a "let's go" vibe. that's my observation.

animosity might be a strong word but in OKC or Dallas or Nashville the local teams get a good amout of homerism and booster from the city media. they just do. i'm going back to the mid 80's here......and i have never seen the Denver media get behind CU much.

Denver is unique a bit since there are so many transplants and it's easier for those people to adopt the local pro teams than college if those people went to Wisconsin or Texas or whatever.....i get that.....so, yeah, they are playing to ratings (and they have a ton of demographic info).....but, still.....it's not like other places where the local teams are a big part of what is going on in a "let's go" vibe. that's my observation.
Agreed, but college athletics just haven’t been a big part of Colorado sports culture. Tennessee didn’t have an NFL team until the late 90s, Texas is so much about football culture that many HS games there are about as big a draw as CU football, and Oklahoma didn’t have a professional sports franchise at all until the Thunder came only 10 years ago. Denver's sports culture is far closer to California, Oregon, and Washington than anything in the Midwest or South.

Agreed, but college athletics just haven’t been a big part of Colorado sports culture. Tennessee didn’t have an NFL team until the late 90s, Texas is so much about football culture that many HS games there are about as big a draw as CU football, and Oklahoma didn’t have a professional sports franchise at all until the Thunder came only 10 years ago. Denver's sports culture is far closer to California, Oregon, and Washington than anything in the Midwest or South.

that's probably all true. it's always felt uncomfortable to me the weird blind spot in the Denver media when it comes to CU. sports and other things. 4:20 always got a lot of media coverage......seems like it's more an "angle" to depict CU and Boulder a certain way than any necessity.

i wouldn't agree that Oregon and Washington have a sports culture similar to Denver. I think Denver has a really unique sports culture that could be stronger with a more inclusive to CU approach. i do like CU in the Pac, however. edit.

Last edited:
The national *college football* media is covering the Buffs a little bit more right now. Your statement would only be valid if the local sports media actually cover college athletics.

Check out Game Day on ESPN on Saturday morning. There was a film crew in Boulder this week and they are going to do a full on segment about Laviska.

that's probably all true. it's always felt uncomfortable to me the weird blind spot in the Denver media when it comes to CU. sports and other things. 4:20 always got a lot of media coverage......seems like it's more an "angle" to depict CU and Boulder a certain way than any necessity.

i wouldn't agree that Oregon and Washington have a sports culture similar to Denver.
I’ve never spent much time there so I won’t argue much, but those places seem more like “athletics are nice to watch, but they aren’t a priority”. I guess it’s all relative, but I wouldn’t think those two states are as sports oriented as say, Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Ohio, Georgia, Florida, etc.

Check out Game Day on ESPN on Saturday morning. There was a film crew in Boulder this week and they are going to do a full on segment about Laviska.
I know. Gameday is THE flagship college football show nationwide. It doesn’t discuss or cover anything other than CFB, which was my point. The national media is divided up into different segments covering specific sports for the most part. Local media is tasked with all sports.

I know. Gameday is THE flagship college football show nationwide. It doesn’t discuss or cover anything other than CFB, which was my point. The national media is divided up into different segments covering specific sports for the most part. Local media is tasked with all sports.
Yep. Outside of a scandal, the true national shows don't talk about college sports much at all. Even guys like Cowherd who love CFB and are even into recruiting don't talk much about it because that's not where the audience is. Unless it's a scandal or something to do with a hyper elite program, better to talk about professional sports - particularly the NFL.

Yep. Outside of a scandal, the true national shows don't talk about college sports much at all. Even guys like Cowherd who love CFB and are even into recruiting don't talk much about it because that's not where the audience is. Unless it's a scandal or something to do with a hyper elite program, better to talk about professional sports - particularly the NFL.
NFL is king and can be discussed year round because the league has smartly spaced out and marketed the draft, free agency mini camp, Training Camp, etc. Oh, and the NFL season is a month longer than college with a tournament style playoff system.

SVP and russillo was one of the only shows I heard that was college football dominated. Both of them still do/did quite a bit of it on their new shows but no one has really taken over that spot which is really surprising to me. Just seems like there are too many teams for a national college football show.

"IF" the Buffs win at U$C on Saturday and "IF" the Huskies can beat the Ducks, the game at Seattle the next Saturday would be a strong contender for GameDay, yes?

NFL is king and can be discussed year round because the league has smartly spaced out and marketed the draft, free agency mini camp, Training Camp, etc. Oh, and the NFL season is a month longer than college with a tournament style playoff system.
The NFL has it all going for them except one minor detail. They have a product quality issue. The product on the field is not that entertaining to watch.

For the first time since the early 70s the Broncos look like they could have sustained ****ty seasons, which is truly remarkable. People will only listen to so much "there was a backup punter at practice today, what does it mean for our starter?!" when the team is trash. This could play very well for the Buffs if they can have an exceptional year this year and beyond. I had been having 104.3 on in the background on my commute but it has gotten unbearable and switched to 92.5. I think many others are doing the same. Turn some more heads this week, Buffs!

Man I can’t believe it. I’ve been offline all day and so I thought when I checked Allbuffs this would be a story. Joel Klatt was on 104.3 this morning and didn’t say one freaking word about the Buffs. It was a disgrace! I thought there would’ve been a riot here. I’m still angry! Joel Fu-Cking Klatt! If we can’t count on him than who can we count on?

A couple of observations to me-Let me preface this first one with this-The bulk of us on here are Bronco Fans in terms of the NFL...........right? I mean I'm sure you guys with connections to other parts of the country (Hokie and the Packers IIRC, myself with the Cowboys) do still pay some attention to other teams.....but we all pay enough attention to the Broncos to consider ourselves "fans" IMO. We're not Bronco zombies though-we all live and die with the Buffaloes before anything else.

Bronco zombies (seems like a good term for those who suck the crap 104.3 puts out up-I know I stole that from somebody in this thread. Sorry!) are the same animal Nub fans are, and that's basically what this is to me. There's not much difference between the nonsense that people like Alfred (as an example-we all love him because he's a former Buff, but let's not kid ourselves-his takes are ridiculous) put out, and the illogical Nub fans who got hard-ons listening to Fusker Jesus trashing his team after they got mudholded by Purdue. We've got two sports stations who talk about nothing but the Broncos, and how many fan hosts have been to Boulder (give new guy Zach Bye this-he took the intiative to get to Boulder to watch the UCLA game)? I don't think its animosity TScheck-I think its laziness.

I don't think its animosity TScheck-I think its laziness.

animosity was my word, not Tsheck's....to be fair. i personally don't care much about the NFL......so, my perspective is maybe different.....i choose saturday to piss off and drink beer and watch football.....sundays i do something else. but, i grew up that way. my uncle played for OU, my dad had season tickets here since the 70's. started going to games with him in the Big 8 days, was in law school when i was a kid.

i have always preferred the college game.

you might be right in that laziness is common around here wrt to the Buffs. most crap "sports journalists" know that the Broncos are the ticket to promotion. and that seems to involve more butt kissing than real critical sports acumen. saw that a lot in the last Shanny years.

i think a lot of "sports writers" in the Denver area see kissing Bronco butt as promotion and kicking CU a bit as "proof" of having a critical acumen. being a real sports writer. woodward and berstein type.

Last edited:
animosity was my word, not Tsheck's....to be fair. i personally don't care much about the NFL......so, my perspective is maybe different.....i choose saturday to piss off and drink beer and watch football.....sundays i do something else. but, i grew up that way. my uncle played for OU, my dad had season tickets here since the 70's. started going to games with him in the Big 8 days, was in law school when i was a kid.

i have always preferred the college game.

you might be right in that laziness is common around here wrt to the Buffs. most crap "sports journalists" know that the Broncos are the ticket to promotion. and that seems to involve more butt kissing than real critical sports acumen. saw that a lot in the last Shanny years.

i think a lot of "sports writers" in the Denver area see kissing Bronco butt as promotion and kicking CU a bit as "proof" of having a critical acumen. being a real sports writer. woodward and berstein type.
This. I also think there’s a negative bias towards CU in the Denver media. They like to play up the academic, liberal, elitist angle that the university has either fairly or unfairly earned and it resonates with their target markets. CSU gets more neutral to positive coverage by comparison, presumably due to their reputation as a place where, in their target markets minds, more traditional values exist.

Given the start we've had, the Bronco dysfunction (and the fact that the Rams are coming into undoubtedly add to it next Sunday), and Rockies season coming to a close today, I'm curious to see what kind of attention this team and this game against USC (the biggest in the Pac 12 era IMO) gets locally, and I thought a thread here to kind of make observations about it this week and moving forward assuming we keep winning.

Nobody can seriously get behind hippie liberal anti Trump town's football team.

GO BRONCOS!@!!!1

BRONCOS!

BRONCOS!

VIVA LA BRONCOS!

While I can see the point about the national college media just doing college football stories, the fact it there are hundreds of college football teams for them to cover. The Denver sports media has what, 10 teams TOTAL to cover?

It doesn’t surprise me, but it is annoying. Baseball season is over (locally, anyway), and hockey and basketball is just getting started on their regular seasons, so the storylines there are not yet compelling. We have a Heisman Candidate on an undefeated team in a major conference and we barely register a blip on the radar.

Whatever. Like I said, I’m not surprised. Disappointed is probably more accurate.

"IF" the Buffs win at U$C on Saturday and "IF" the Huskies can beat the Ducks, the game at Seattle the next Saturday would be a strong contender for GameDay, yes?
I don't know.. lemme check the schedule and see if there is an lackluster SEC matchup featuring at least one program that's ranked.

Back