What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your main criteria for our next Head Coach?

I am all for anyone who can help our program build a system similar to Utah and Stanford.

True Buff Football is not finesse. I don't care if we set every passing record when we're losing games 30 to 50. Smashmouth offense with a solid OL and tough defense is our path to Pac 12 success.

I am all for anyone who can help our program build a system similar to Utah and Stanford.

True Buff Football is not finesse. I don't care if we set every passing record when we're losing games 30 to 50. Smashmouth offense with a solid OL and tough defense is our path to Pac 12 success.

Add Wisconsin in and I cannot agree more

You can be a physical team out of the spread.
Yep.

Further, you can be a physical team out of the no huddle. Boston College has done that very successfully this year.

Physical doesn't mean you have to use an in-line TE and a FB. Physical doesn't mean you have to huddle up and go slow. There are innovative approaches to offensive football out there that have changed the conventions in college football.

When CU went after McCartney they found that the ideal program to emulate at the time was Michigan under Schembechler. While they couldn't hire away Schembechler they went after the assistant they could find that emobodied that success and would put in the work necessary to raise the bar at CU.

In today's age, I would say that aside from Alabama the program that CU should try to emulate is Stanford. Based on CU's desire to be academically-oriented I think that is even more fitting; and the fact that we share the same recruiting grounds only makes it more ideal. Washington since hiring Peterson has done that as well; but Stanford has been the better program for longer. Since we can't get David Shaw, the next best thing is...

I would submit: Lance Anderson

The Gatekeeper: Lance Anderson and the redefinition of Stanford football

Willie Shaw Director of Defense

Stanford's Anderson Evaluates Cardinal Defense

I like him for many reasons that people have posted as criteria for our next HC; but I like most is that he puts his head down, does the work, flies under the radar, and doesn't make it about himself much like David Shaw does. So much so that the dude doesn't even have his own Wikipedia despite all of his accomplishments!. I like him over Jimmy Lake as he has a longer track record in the Pac-12, in recruiting, and in being a DC (since 2014). Another reason to love him: Utah hates him for plucking away their in-state talent!
Excellent post. I could definitely get behind Lance Anderson. Surprised that he has flown under the radar so long.
Associate HC, DC at a top P5 school, former recruiting coordinator, coached offense and defense. Sounds great.
Sign him up.

Thoughts on Pep Hamilton?
He should be considered. I like the potential of others coaches more.
If he came with Lance Anderson as the AHC/OC that would be great. Doubt we could get him away from Michigan though by just going from co-OC to OC.

He should be considered. I like the potential of others coaches more.
If he came with Lance Anderson as the AHC/OC that would be great. Doubt we could get him away from Michigan though by just going from co-OC to OC.
Pep makes over $1M a year at Michigan - no chance he makes a lateral move to CU, none.

I guess I'm old school, but that isn't what I want.

Give me great defense and hard nosed offensive football based on O-Line play.

My strong belief is that 90% of the time the tougher team wins the football game. And I strongly believe that a program's DNA is based on what the in-state talent has to offer. What the CO prep ranks offers consistently is excellent offensive line prospects. That has to be the foundation of the program or, imo, we're going in the wrong direction.
If that's true, that CO consistently pipes solid OL prospects, then then heck yes to everything you said. Not on board with Air Raid. Why TF we arent going all in on the top 5-8 in state OL prospects every year is beyond me.

I’m all for Miles.
Gives us immediate publicity on top of being a good coach/recruiter. My one caveat would be him bringing his successor as a coordinator. I don’t think miles wants to coach more than 3-4 years. Whether it’s Pelini or a new guy like Chip Long. Even call them associate head coach or something goofy to keep them here till they take over.

Im only wanting a coach that has balls. After our powderpuff game yesterday, I turned on the Ok State/OU shootout and saw the Mullet go for two to win the game. That’s the type of balls that has been missing in Boulder since Barnett. If OK State were to let Gundy go that’s my dream guy , but the chances of that happening are slim to none.
Gundy is a good coach, no doubt, but I worry about his recruiting. He’s done well at developing talent but his recruiting has never been up to what one might expect given his on field success and access to great recruiting in Texas.

Ducks-Demolished.gif

If that's true, that CO consistently pipes solid OL prospects, then then heck yes to everything you said. Not on board with Air Raid. Why TF we arent going all in on the top 5-8 in state OL prospects every year is beyond me.
In the 2019 recruiting class, Colorado prep OLs are committed to the following programs:

OT Barrett Miller (Stanford)
OT Michael Lynn (Nebraska)
OG Austin Johnson (Colorado)
OG Jake Wiley (Colorado)
OT Alijah Bates (Arizona State)
OC Drake Nugent (uncommitted) - offers from Stanford, Utah, Arizona State and Oklahoma State but not from CU

Yet for some reason CU chose an OL from Europe. A guy with an offer list of Akron, Buffalo, UConn and Dartmouth.

Last year there wasn't much in-state other than Spencer Lovell, a 6'7" 305 lb 3* OT from Fort Collins. Arizona State got him and CU didn't even offer.

Not sure I get all the love for Lake. I'm not saying he'd be a bad hire and honestly I don't know all that much about him, but from a glance at his resume he's only been a full-time coordinator for 1 season and his only experience at a P5 school is the past 5 years at UW except for one year back in '04. I know their defense has been one of the best in the Pac this season and the past couple of seasons when he was co-DC but that seems like the extent of his success.

Granted I don't know what kind of success he had in his NFL career mostly as a DB coach but I feel as though I'm missing something here. Is he considered that hot of a candidate around the country?

Not sure I get all the love for Lake. I'm not saying he'd be a bad hire and honestly I don't know all that much about him, but from a glance at his resume he's only been a full-time coordinator for 1 season and his only experience at a P5 school is the past 5 years at UW except for one year back in '04. I know their defense has been one of the best in the Pac this season and the past couple of seasons when he was co-DC but that seems like the extent of his success.

Granted I don't know what kind of success he had in his NFL career mostly as a DB coach but I feel as though I'm missing something here. Is he considered that hot of a candidate around the country?
Probably the best recruiter in the Pac-12 and then he has developed that talent to get them to the NFL.

He's just an impressive guy and he has succeeded in a big way at every job he has been asked to do.

I watched OSU go for 2 in a bar in Boulder after the game thinking that’s a move only a coach with job security makes. I hope OSU is stupid enough to let Gundy go - I’d take him in a heartbeat - over Miles, over Tedford, over Lake, over pretty much anyone.

Complete agree I'd be thrilled to get Gundy at CU, but would CU really be interested in someone like him the way he speaks his mind and doesn't hold back? Maybe I'm off the mark here but CU seems too conservative to hire someone like that.

I want a coach with proven success in a major conference; however, I also want somebody with something to prove, who will never be satisfied with beating New Hampshire or CSU, who will never fill the gaping hole in his soul no matter how many points we score against Nebraska or Oregon State. No more mister nice coach. I want a hyper-competitive asshole.

I want a head coach who wants to beat USC, will make beating USC our benchmark, and will burn that into the brains of everybody in the Champions Center. We need someone to hate, and USC fits the bill.

I want a head coach who will run more than 6 or 7 plays a game on offense, will get the other team off balance, and will keep the other team from teeing off on the LOS because they know what whats coming.

I want a head coach who understands the importance of recruiting, especially on the lines. We will never get back to where we were with 2 star projects trying to control the line of scrimmage.

I want a head coach who will play the best players, regardless of seniority. Rick Gamboa, Brent Tonz, Josh Kaiser, should have been riding the pine this year, instead of getting exposed by average athletes and totally destroyed by elite ones. For that matter, they shouldn't have been recruited in the first place, but once you recruit over them, you put them on the bench and keep them there. You don't send the message to your team that being the best player won't get you a job, or that failure doesn't have consequences.

I want a head coach who can talk to big money donors and get them amped up about CU football; our Achilles Heel since the Fairbanks era is that we don't have the kind of big money support that buffers a program from institutional budgetary politics and allows a program to take the long view. Rick George has done a fantastic job of addressing this, but a head coach that can sell the program would be a godsend.

Above all, I want a head coach who knows weakness when he sees it; when he sees it inside the program he will expunge it instead of tolerating it, when he sees it in our opponents he will ruthlessly exploit it, again and again and again without the slightest hint of mercy.

Dude is one of the best recruiters in the nation. Plus he works for a guy named Petersen who is one of the best coaches in the nation

I want a coach with proven success in a major conference; however, I also want somebody with something to prove, who will never be satisfied with beating New Hampshire or CSU, who will never fill the gaping hole in his soul no matter how many points we score against Nebraska or Oregon State. No more mister nice coach. I want a hyper-competitive asshole.

I want a head coach who wants to beat USC, will make beating USC our benchmark, and will burn that into the brains of everybody in the Champions Center. We need someone to hate, and USC fits the bill.

I want a head coach who will run more than 6 or 7 plays a game on offense, will get the other team off balance, and will keep the other team from teeing off on the LOS because they know what whats coming.

I want a head coach who understands the importance of recruiting, especially on the lines. We will never get back to where we were with 2 star projects trying to control the line of scrimmage.

I want a head coach who will play the best players, regardless of seniority. Rick Gamboa, Brent Tonz, Josh Kaiser, should have been riding the pine this year, instead of getting exposed by average athletes and totally destroyed by elite ones. For that matter, they shouldn't have been recruited in the first place, but once you recruit over them, you put them on the bench and keep them there. You don't send the message to your team that being the best player won't get you a job, or that failure doesn't have consequences.

I want a head coach who can talk to big money donors and get them amped up about CU football; our Achilles Heel since the Fairbanks era is that we don't have the kind of big money support that buffers a program from institutional budgetary politics and allows a program to take the long view. Rick George has done a fantastic job of addressing this, but a head coach that can sell the program would be a godsend.

Above all, I want a head coach who knows weakness when he sees it; when he sees it inside the program he will expunge it instead of tolerating it, when he sees it in our opponents he will ruthlessly exploit it, again and again and again without the slightest hint of mercy.

And a looooooooooong jacket.

I have posted this many times over the years since McCartney retired.

In my opinion a head coaching candidate for CU needs to meet the following criteria:

1. Be an elite recruiter - not just good - elite.
2. Has spent time as a coordinator at a successful P5 program.
3. Has spent time working under (being mentored) by a top P5 coach.
4. Has spent at least 10 years as an assistant coach. Needs to have seen the ups and downs of coaching.

Nice to have criteria - but not a deal breaker.
1. Engaging personality that plays well with the public.
2. Some HC experience.

Over the years, guys that have checked off 1, 2 3, & 4 have had a lot of success at CU and other schools.

Hiring the hot name usually does not work out - Hawkins, Rich Rod at Michigan, Lane Kiffin everywhere.

I have posted this many times over the years since McCartney retired.

In my opinion a head coaching candidate for CU needs to meet the following criteria:

1. Be an elite recruiter - not just good - elite.
2. Has spent time as a coordinator at a successful P5 program.
3. Has spent time working under (being mentored) by a top P5 coach.
4. Has spent at least 10 years as an assistant coach. Needs to have seen the ups and downs of coaching.

Nice to have criteria - but not a deal breaker.
1. Engaging personality that plays well with the public.
2. Some HC experience.

Over the years, guys that have checked off 1, 2 3, & 4 have had a lot of success at CU and other schools.

Hiring the hot name usually does not work out - Hawkins, Rich Rod at Michigan, Lane Kiffin everywhere.

So, who do you favor who fits your criteria?

He was #4 on Bruce Feldman's preseason coaching candidates list. Great rep in coaching circles.

I don't have a preference on who it is. I've read up on some that Duff and others wrote down, looking for things I didn't already know about them, mainly. Lake would be a quality hire, he has a lot of cred. He isn't the only one, but does stand out a bit. Dude can recruit and damn do we need someone that can.

Going back to my OP (after taking a moment to give a h/t to @wsp4820 for pure gold there) --

A big tent guy doesn't make ****ing injury excuses to explain away losses. A big tent guy isn't so afraid of failure (potential sack) that he's afraid to pursue victory (going for a 4th down play on the opponent 36). We need to get the timid and weak out of this program.

Back