What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your main criteria for our next Head Coach?

Yeah, something tells me Gundy wouldn't be a great fit in Boulder.

One thing I’ll say in defense of Gundy on this is that at least he’s saying this as someone who has been loyal to OSU. I’ve seen the same crap from coaches who have jumped jobs because the grass was greener elsewhere. So at least Gundy can’t be called a hypocrite like many of his peers.

In the 2019 recruiting class, Colorado prep OLs are committed to the following programs:

OT Barrett Miller (Stanford)
OT Michael Lynn (Nebraska)
OG Austin Johnson (Colorado)
OG Jake Wiley (Colorado)
OT Alijah Bates (Arizona State)
OC Drake Nugent (uncommitted) - offers from Stanford, Utah, Arizona State and Oklahoma State but not from CU

Yet for some reason CU chose an OL from Europe. A guy with an offer list of Akron, Buffalo, UConn and Dartmouth.

Last year there wasn't much in-state other than Spencer Lovell, a 6'7" 305 lb 3* OT from Fort Collins. Arizona State got him and CU didn't even offer.
Ho. Ly. ****. Adams can leave now. Thx for the run down.

Stokely threw out Jedd Fisch on his show today.

I'm not advocating! I know very little about the guy.
I'm quoting this again because the idea of hiring Fisch keeps growing on me. But can you get him for even the later signing day recruiting with the Rams looking poised for a deep playoff run?

I'm quoting this again because the idea of hiring Fisch keeps growing on me. But can you get him for even the later signing day recruiting with the Rams looking poised for a deep playoff run?
The longest coaching stint he’s held anywhere is 3 years - concerning?

The longest coaching stint he’s held anywhere is 3 years - concerning?
Of course it's concerning. I can punch holes in every candidate, especially those that are within our weight class. Hell, I can't even tell you who would be a perfect candidate for USC with the weight class they're punching in. Fisch seems better than most of the names I've heard for us, though.

Of course it's concerning. I can punch holes in every candidate, especially those that are within our weight class. Hell, I can't even tell you who would be a perfect candidate for USC with the weight class they're punching in. Fisch seems better than most of the names I've heard for us, though.
Why? I’m not against him necessarily, but curious why you like him. He’s got such an odd career path bouncing back to the NFL after nearly every college stop - I wonder where he really wants to coach?

Why? I’m not against him necessarily, but curious why you like him. He’s got such an odd career path bouncing back to the NFL after nearly every college stop - I wonder where he really wants to coach?
He's really good and keeps getting brought in as a "fixer". Some of his jobs were due to a quick rise in his career. Some due to re-sets. But he keeps landing great jobs. Just saw on 247 from @onealcd that Cowherd is suggesting him for USC.

He's really good and keeps getting brought in as a "fixer". Some of his jobs were due to a quick rise in his career. Some due to re-sets. But he keeps landing great jobs. Just saw on 247 from @onealcd that Cowherd is suggesting him for USC.
Cowherd is probably just angling for the AD job there - that seems like a very USC hire.

I’ll say it again, but Alex Grinch, co-DC at tOSU.

Good recruiter, and a fiery personality. According to past players, “treats every week like we’re playing Alabama”. Big Ten country, tough brand of football.

At least interview the guy in a national search.

Cowherd is probably just angling for the AD job there - that seems like a very USC hire.

b4f73d7b3173396d32773c08d2222689.jpeg

Not as USC as this clown getting that job would be....

I’ll say it again, but Alex Grinch, co-DC at tOSU.

Good recruiter, and a fiery personality. According to past players, “treats every week like we’re playing Alabama”. Big Ten country, tough brand of football.

At least interview the guy in a national search.
I love Grinch. Was a high risk hire by Leach when he made him DC at Wazzu, but he changed the entire culture of an Air Raid team into a physical team that plays Air Raid offense. Not sure how much he's really in charge of the defense at tOSU this year, but spending a year under Urban and Schiano after those 2 years under Leach and the years under Pinkel at Mizzou really gives him a lot of exposure to some of the sports most successful coaches.

If we were going to roll the dice with someone who didn't have HC experience, he'd be on my short list.

I guess that's the big decision.

Go with a retread like Tedford, Schiano, Miles. All good coaches but getting late in their careers.

Or roll the dice with a young up and comer.

I'm a gambling man, so I'd go the latter option personally. As long as the new coach can recruit, and CU doesn't ink to some stupid contract, I really don't think it's that big a risk to go with a younger coach.

However, I'm also warming up to the Les Miles option since everyone has convinced me that he can flat out recruit with the best.

The least favorite option is the lower tier head coaches that flash for a year. That's McElwain, MacIntyre, Darrel Hazel, and the like.

Mine is simple: I want a guy who has performed and succeeded in a "big tent" environment of college football.

I look at Hawkins and can say that he's a very good football coach - in the MWC or FCS. His record at Boise State and at UC Davis speaks for itself.

I look at MacIntyre and can say that he's a very good football coach - in the MWC or, I think, for a P5 program that would be happy with mediocre results and never having to worry about whether the HC was being an honorable Boy Scout.

I want someone who knows what it takes to win at one of the big time elite programs and has thrived under that fire. If CU is ever going to be one of those programs again, we have to hire someone who brings that culture. That could mean a former elite program HC, a current coordinator at an elite program, or someone who has recently left one of those coordinator jobs and proved himself at a lower level program as a HC.

But we need a big tent guy.

I would be good with Miles or Tedford

Back