What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your main criteria for our next Head Coach?

Going back to my OP (after taking a moment to give a h/t to @wsp4820 for pure gold there) --

A big tent guy doesn't make ****ing injury excuses to explain away losses. A big tent guy isn't so afraid of failure (potential sack) that he's afraid to pursue victory (going for a 4th down play on the opponent 36). We need to get the timid and weak out of this program.

Well that’s just crazy.

Lake and the other candidates would be potentially good hires for many reasons stated, but if there is a big splash with Miles hire, and he hits it out of the park with the assistants, then CU takes a complete leap forward on more fronts.
Hire Miles now
Hire the next great thing 5-8 years from now when the job is in better standing recruit wise.

In the 2019 recruiting class, Colorado prep OLs are committed to the following programs:

OT Barrett Miller (Stanford)
OT Michael Lynn (Nebraska)
OG Austin Johnson (Colorado)
OG Jake Wiley (Colorado)
OT Alijah Bates (Arizona State)
OC Drake Nugent (uncommitted) - offers from Stanford, Utah, Arizona State and Oklahoma State but not from CU

Yet for some reason CU chose an OL from Europe. A guy with an offer list of Akron, Buffalo, UConn and Dartmouth.

Last year there wasn't much in-state other than Spencer Lovell, a 6'7" 305 lb 3* OT from Fort Collins. Arizona State got him and CU didn't even offer.
CU could have constructed a pretty solid OL over the tenure of this staff, but they've missed on so many in-state OL prospects that it almost has to be intentional. I seem to recall MM having the coaches canvas pretty much every HS in the state at the start of his tenure, but he's pretty much completely ignored it since then.

That said, I think about the current staff makeup and I struggle to think of even one guy who came with MM to Colorado who had ANY ties here previously. Ambrose, Chiv, and Hagan have ties here from their playing days, but I don't think anyone came in as a known quantity and respected in the Colorado HS coaching community. I wonder if CU would get more traction in state if they hired someone to an assistant position on this next staff who fits that description.

You only go get Miles, IF you also like a couple of the assistants he is bringing as potential HC candidates.
I don't believe you bring them in as part of a succession plan, but you do make sure that you hire the level of coordinator that could be hired as the HC at a P5 program. With Miles, guys in his past that would fit would be guys like Monken at OC, Pelini at DC,

I wonder if CU would get more traction in state if they hired someone to an assistant position on this next staff who fits that description.
Someone like Barnett when he was hired as an assistant the first time, way back in the 80s?

Hiring an assistant with a similar resume would probably be a good idea.*

The real problem on this front though is that very few of the state's high school teachers and coaches went to CU. In the long run this really does hurt recruiting.

*For those that don't know, GB was HC at Air Academy HS, and then was the HC at Ft Lewis before Mac 1 brought him on as an assistant at CU. There's a reason the state HS coaches really liked GB, he was "one of them" - a lot of the older ones are still bitter about how CU treated him at the end of his tenure (put recruiting handcuffs on him, and then blame him for ****ty recruiting - in their opinion he was set up to fail by the Boulder elite). It didn't help that his replacement basically **** on them upon arrival.

Last edited:
I don't believe you bring them in as part of a succession plan, but you do make sure that you hire the level of coordinator that could be hired as the HC at a P5 program. With Miles, guys in his past that would fit would be guys like Monken at OC, Pelini at DC,
That is what I mean, you don't necessarily want to have to rely on a succession plan, but having the options in house would be wise.

So, who do you favor who fits your criteria?

I really don't have a a candidate - some are saying Lake fits that criteria.(though I am not sure about his recruiting). Tosh Lupoi meets the Recruiting criteria but I think he needs a few more years as a DC. I really want an honest search and you never know who may rise to the top. When doing the search they will need to determine how the person will be as a manager, can they make hard decisions, how will they hire, etc. Ultimately, can they coach..

Take someone like Tee Martin - great recruiter, OC, but I do not think he has been mentored by a successful coach for any period of time (not necessarily his fault). I would interview someone like that and see if it fits. Many candidates are not going to check every box.

I think recruiting has to be a must have criteria - CU is not located in a recruiting hotbed but is not a bad place to recruit to and with the new facilities it should be a lot easier.

I really don't have a a candidate - some are saying Lake fits that criteria.(though I am not sure about his recruiting). Tosh Lupoi meets the Recruiting criteria but I think he needs a few more years as a DC. I really want an honest search and you never know who may rise to the top. When doing the search they will need to determine how the person will be as a manager, can they make hard decisions, how will they hire, etc. Ultimately, can they coach..

Take someone like Tee Martin - great recruiter, OC, but I do not think he has been mentored by a successful coach for any period of time (not necessarily his fault). I would interview someone like that and see if it fits. Many candidates are not going to check every box.

I think recruiting has to be a must have criteria - CU is not located in a recruiting hotbed but is not a bad place to recruit to and with the new facilities it should be a lot easier.
We haven't had a recruiter of Lake's caliber in Boulder since EB left for UCLA.

Maybe Aranda wants to coach out West again?

Lake
Aranda
Long

All three check a lot of boxes.

Probably a good list. I am in favor of bringing in an assistant to be a head coach. I am not sure about recycling a former Head Coach - not in favor of Les Miles - just wonder if the fire is gone. Tedford has been a good recruiter but was a only so-so at Cal - seems to me his ceiling may be low.

Again, I don't understand this mentality of having a "plan" for the next head coach after Miles. LM should not be brought in as a babysitter for the program, and if that's truly the case, then RG is doing it wrong.
I just want a plan, period. In all things. Not just possible head coaching succession.

This program has looked rudderless since 2016.

I just want a plan, period. In all things. Not just possible head coaching succession.

This program has looked rudderless since 2016.
Certain plans make sense. Like, what we'd do if RG wasn't our AD tomorrow for whatever reason. But certain plans are a waste of time and energy. Like, what we think we'll do in 5 years to replace RG if he decides to retire early.

Certain plans make sense. Like, what we'd do if RG wasn't our AD tomorrow for whatever reason. But certain plans are a waste of time and energy. Like, what we think we'll do in 5 years to replace RG if he decides to retire early.
The idea of RG taking the Vandy job is terrifying, tbh. That would mean the President hire will have to be made in order to hire the new AD, and by the time all that's done, it's too late for anything to happen on the coaching front and it's onto year 7 of HCMM. That's just the tangible aspect of terror to be added to the idea that RG leaving would signal something awful pertaining to the leadership of the University and their support of the AD. Really need to hear Vandy hires someone else to put that rumor to bed.

You only go get Miles, IF you also like a couple of the assistants he is bringing as potential HC candidates.

No, you don't. You interview Miles if you think he's got the fire to be a head coach still and if he's willing to bring in somebody who has no connections to LSU as an OC (Larry Fedora or Todd Monken if the Bucs ax Dirk Koetter).

The idea of RG taking the Vandy job is terrifying, tbh. That would mean the President hire will have to be made in order to hire the new AD, and by the time all that's done, it's too late for anything to happen on the coaching front and it's onto year 7 of HCMM. That's just the tangible aspect of terror to be added to the idea that RG leaving would signal something awful pertaining to the leadership of the University and their support of the AD. Really need to hear Vandy hires someone else to put that rumor to bed.
Yep, I'm actually becoming more paranoid by the moment.

Not as terrifying as RG taking the Vandy job AFTER firing MM but BEFORE hiring a replacement. Which, because we're the Buffs, is probably going to happen. They'll install DiStephano as the Interim AD and he'll cheap out and hire the G5 flavor of the week.

Back