What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which assistants should CU consider keeping? Your rating.

Kurt Roper (QB/ Interim HC) = 2
Darrin Chiaverini (Co-OC/ RC/ WR) = 2
Klayton Adams (Co-OC/ OL) = 0
Darian Hagan (RB) = 1
Gary Bernardi (TE & H) = 0
DJ Eliot (DC/ OLB) = 0
ShaDon Brown (Secondary/ D Pass Game Coordinator) = 1
Ashley Ambrose (CB) = 1
Ross Els (ILB/ ST) = 2
Kwahn Drake (DL) = 3

I think Drake has done a pretty good job - of course the immediate comparison point is Jeffcoat, so ...

Really, most of the staff on an individual level I wouldn't mind either way, but if the majority of them are kept (even if I have them all at a 3 or a 2), I'll lose my mind. .

I feel like a lot of people get dramatic but Bason is mentioned a ton by players and recruits. More so than any academic person I ever remember
She also seems to have been a difference maker with CU's ability to sign JUCO players. As I understand it, she screens their transcripts so that our coaches don't waste time on targets who can't get in and then she puts together their academic plan to get them eligible for admittance before they even get here. Have we had a single JUCO who didn't end up enrolling? She does a damn good job and changed things at CU.

You people can’t be serious. That academic advisor? If someone comes here Bc of the academic advisor it means they know they’re going to spend a ton of time there. We don’t need players that dumb. Go to Last Chance U

I'm trying to remember which player but one of the signed players in the last class stated specifically as did his parents that Katie Benson was the deciding factor, and it was a quality student who had other options.

We tend to stereotype football players as placing a low importance on academics but many see football as the path to getting an education. A person like Katie Benson who players and their parents can truly believe will assist and support them in reaching that goal is huge.

fwiw, I'm a "2" or a "1" for pretty much the entire staff. "0" on Bernardi and Eliot. I want to be a "1" on Adams, but I don't know how to make the case for it. But I don't think a new coach should retain more than 2 or 3 guys for his staff -- hiring 7 or 8 new assistants.

fwiw, I'm a "2" or a "1" for pretty much the entire staff. "0" on Bernardi and Eliot. I want to be a "1" on Adams, but I don't know how to make the case for it. But I don't think a new coach should retain more than 2 or 3 guys for his staff -- hiring 7 or 8 new assistants.
Exactly, there are no 3’s on staff but the new coach isn’t going to be able to automatically upgrade every single position coach in his first year. So he will take advice from RG and decide where to go from there. Chev, drake, Ambrose, roper, brown and els are all guys I wouldn’t complain about being on staff next year and there is absolutely no way they are all retained at the same time.

It would appear that this season fell apart because the OL severely sucked, much worse than talent gaps would have predicted. I see no saving Adams.

Also, the OCs couldn't adjust and proved to be a total and complete incompetent situation. Is that not what we saw? Did we watch the same **** show?

I love what Chev brought and I saw him as our HC in waiting a few years down the road, until about 6 weeks ago. So now I question his aptitude and readiness, but I also question whether his players are with him. Such floundering would make him vulnerable for sure. Is he still respected? If not, he must go. Otherwise, I'd love to see him in Boulder in a situation where he can succeed, polish and hone.

I will know Saturday night if his guys give a twit. Cal is competent on D. 247 has guys stating things will be wonderful because MM was holding Chev back. Sounds like foolishness to me.

Exactly, there are no 3’s on staff but the new coach isn’t going to be able to automatically upgrade every single position coach in his first year. So he will take advice from RG and decide where to go from there. Chev, drake, Ambrose, roper, brown and els are all guys I wouldn’t complain about being on staff next year and there is absolutely no way they are all retained at the same time.
Also, there are usually a couple guys on staff who are most valuable for holding the recruiting class and locker room together due to their popularity with recruits and players. It can make a lot of sense as an outsider to keep those guys if they're at positions where you don't have "your guy" instead of starting an interview process. Talking to those guys who fit that profile on the staff and retaining them if you click is a smart thing for a new HC to do.

Also, there are usually a couple guys on staff who are most valuable for holding the recruiting class and locker room together due to their popularity with recruits and players. It can make a lot of sense as an outsider to keep those guys if they're at positions where you don't have "your guy" instead of starting an interview process. Talking to those guys who fit that profile on the staff and retaining them if you click is a smart thing for a new HC to do.
Welcome back Gary Bernardi!

So if a new coach kept everyone except Adams and Bernardi, you wouldn’t lose your s**t? Yikes.

I get it sink. I knew I was gonna take some bullets for Elliot at a 3. I think that he has done a great job given the amount of defense they have played. I look at there points allowed vs common opponents and I always marvel how most of AB can be talking about Jim Levitt being such a great DC even though CU consistently Oregon’s defense vs common opponents.

You can’t play defense 65% of the game and expect to be a good defensive team

I haven't been happy with what I've seen from Hagan on the recruiting trail. He started with a bang under Hawkins and we haven't really seen it again. I do think his actual position coaching has been good. He's turning out 1,000 yard backs who don't fumble and been doing it since Speedy.

If we were reading posts on any other fan forum about the Academic Advisor as someone we must keep on our staff we'd be trolling the sh.it out of it. Just sayin'...

You know I take that as a complement ...because I don’t see you as anyone who knows anything worth knowing.
Don’t take it that way, it was not a complement. You want a new coach to retain 5 coaches from this staff - that’s objectively ridiculous.

Yes, the ILBs and ST coverage groups were really well coached.

An ILB coach is not hard to find. A good ST coordinator harder to find, but is a good title for a new coach to get a coach he likes. Els is unlikely to be in the plans due to those two factors.

I get it sink. I knew I was gonna take some bullets for Elliot at a 3. I think that he has done a great job given the amount of defense they have played. I look at there points allowed vs common opponents and I always marvel how most of AB can be talking about Jim Levitt being such a great DC even though CU consistently Oregon’s defense vs common opponents.

You can’t play defense 65% of the game and expect to be a good defensive team

There is a reason he was available. Kentucky dumped him and they are dramatically better two years later.

Honestly, he should be the easiest decision to make for the next coach. Nothing in his track record here or at Kentucky suggests he is cut out to be a P5 DC.

An ILB coach is not hard to find. A good ST coordinator harder to find, but is a good title for a new coach to get a coach he likes. Els is unlikely to be in the plans due to those two factors.
Correct.

That was never how the question was framed though, see thread title.

Last edited:
There is a reason he was available. Kentucky dumped him and they are dramatically better two years later.

Honestly, he should be the easiest decision to make for the next coach. Nothing in his track record here or at Kentucky suggests he is cut out to be a P5 DC.

As you know Duff there are a lot of reasons to get fired from a bad SEC team like Kentucky. That might say something about him and it also might say something about Stoops, or the job in general.

I am basing my opinion solely on the defense this year. I am impressed with how they have played given some very difficult circumstances and playing defense 60-70% of the game.

I would keep Elliot at DC and punt Ambrose and Brown. I’m in minority for sure,

As you know Duff there are a lot of reasons to get fired from a bad SEC team like Kentucky. That might say something about him and it also might say something about Stoops, or the job in general.

I am basing my opinion solely on the defense this year. I am impressed with how they have played given some very difficult circumstances and playing defense 60-70% of the game.

I would keep Elliot at DC and punt Ambrose and Brown. I’m in minority for sure,

Kentucky has a top 20 scoring defense this season and Stoops took over playcalling during Eliot's last season.

He is not a good DC.

Back