What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 MBB Coaching Carousel

Yea, no joke.

Danny Manning turned an 11 game win streak in Conference USA to an ACC gig.

Wake is in a tough spot at the bottom of a very tough conference. They have to do something to get the attention of the kind of players that can make them competitive and most of the coaches available to them aren't going to do that.

Manning has a pretty limited coaching resume but he does have a big enough name as a former college and pro player that he might be able to at least get his foot in the door of some difference makers. It's going to take some recruiting wins to turn Wake around. He or just about anyone else isn't going to change Wake's fortunes by trying to outcoach the ACC.

Wake was a perennial tourney team that made the sweet 16 the year before BZ showed up. Won't be surprised to see them dancing again soon.

Wake was a perennial tourney team that made the sweet 16 the year before BZ showed up. Won't be surprised to see them dancing again soon.

The potential is absolutely there but 4 years is an eternity in terms of the perception of HS kids. This could be a good fit for Manning and a place where he could put himself in the upper end of the coaching business.

Recruiting will as in most cases be the key.

Now it's back to climbing out of the gutter. Manning not working out wouldn't come as any surprise to me. In fact, Manning making Wake an upper echelon ACC squad would be a bigger surprise than failing.

Just don't see Wake ever being a contender in the new ACC....and adding Louisville next year helps nothing for a team like Wake

What the hell happened at Missou? He's 76-28 in three seasons there. That's better than Boyle has done here.

What the hell happened at Missou? He's 76-28 in three seasons there. That's better than Boyle has done here.

He's a miserable in game coach and his Missouri teams got markedly worse each year. He was going to be lucky to not get axed before the end of next season.

He's a miserable in game coach and his Missouri teams got markedly worse each year. He was going to be lucky to not get axed before the end of next season.

I can't address the in-game coaching as I just haven't seen enough of their games, but I don't see how he's a bad coach. He was the National Coach of the Year in 2011-12 going 30-5 with just seven scholarship players. He lost a ton of players to the NBA, graduation, and transfers last year but his record went from 23-11 in 2013 to 24-12 in 2014. His Miami teams got steadily better during his tenure.

ETA: He'll also have four 4* players that he recruited on the team next year.

I can't address the in-game coaching as I just haven't seen enough of their games, but I don't see how he's a bad coach. He was the National Coach of the Year in 2011-12 going 30-5 with just seven scholarship players. He lost a ton of players to the NBA, graduation, and transfers last year but his record went from 23-11 in 2013 to 24-12 in 2014. His Miami teams got steadily better during his tenure.

ETA: He'll also have four 4* players that he recruited on the team next year.

His Miami teams were highly inconsistent. He's had two winning conference seasons in 10 years as a head coach. Aside from riding Anderson's success two years ago (and losing in the first round as a 2 seed), there has been little success. His move speaks for itself. He's not jumping because he secretly loves Tulsa. He saw the writing on the wall.

Well, he was coaching a team with little history in the best conference in the country during the Miami days.

I guess I just have a hard time convincing myself that his long-term record is that of a bad coach. If that record is bad, then there are less than a dozen good coaches in D1 ball.

Well, he was coaching a team with little history in the best conference in the country during the Miami days.

I guess I just have a hard time convincing myself that his long-term record is that of a bad coach. If that record is bad, then there are less than a dozen good coaches in D1 ball.

His record at Miami was mediocre at best, last place finishes happened, never did better than 8-8. One year they squeaked in the Dance. You take out the first season at Mizzou riding Anderson's success, and his overall record is not impressive. This year he had the second most talented team in the SEC and couldn't manage a winning conference record. And the SEC was *miserable*. Mizzou's overall record may have been similar to last year, but dig a little deeper and the decline is evident. His staff was also quite bad with lunatics like Dave Leitao. I can reel off about 50 major conference coaches I'd put ahead of Haith.

Last edited:

xx

Last edited:
Possible NCAA sanctions heading Mizzou's way is the word at the burrito stand. Haith got out while he could.

Possible NCAA sanctions heading Mizzou's way is the word at the burrito stand. Haith got out while he could.
I'm not disputing this, even without sanctions though I'm not sure if he would've made it past next year without a decent year.

Not surpising. Haith and Nevin were best buds at Miami. Had a seedy character or two on his Mizzou staff as well.

I think Haith already served a suspension this year for what happened at Miami. I think there's more coming down specific to Mizzou and it's non-action on the alleged sexual assaults by athletes (including a couple by a basketball player).

I think Haith already served a suspension this year for what happened at Miami. I think there's more coming down specific to Mizzou and it's non-action on the alleged sexual assaults by athletes (including a couple by a basketball player).

He did. I was just mentioning it to show he's had no qualms about sketchy dealings in the past.

Back