What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alamo Bowl Official Thread - COLORADO V OKIE STATE - DEC 29

You left out that part where Washington has the weakest. We did alright against the Huskies right?

According to the link that 68 provided, Louisville had a weaker overall schedule than both UDub and Okie Lite. Now if you're talking strength of OOC schedule ...

In August if you had told me I would be a little disappointed with a number 10 ranking and Alamo Bowl berth, I would have thought you were crazy...

Best part of Alamo though is that in addition to me and mrs skibum, my sister, b-i-l, and nephews will be coming too. Very excited to spend the time with them and watch the Buffs kick some Okie lite ass.

Trying to figure out tickets for everyone now; I haven't used the new ticket website since I left Colorado 9 years ago, it looks like I'm going to have to call them to get in to purchase tickets because I don't want to create a new account and lose my donor priority when they assign seats.

Good problem to have though.

I'm pretty happy with an Alamo berth, FWIW. The Rose Bowel jobbed CU, but that was expected.
The Rose Bowl did what it said it would do and take the next highest ranked Pac12 team. The committee is the one that screwed up by dropping us 2 and moving USC up 2.

Looks like the Alamo Bowl will be the first bowl to match up two ranked teams - and one of only seven to do so. It should get plenty of pub.

It doesn't hurt to finally be on ESPN, either. We can finally enjoy them artificially hyping us like they do every other team and game on their network.

Okay Debbie Downer :)
raw

FWIW ... probably not much, but there it is. Predictions by an ESPN scribe for all the bowl games, including ours:

Valero Alamo Bowl: No. 12 Oklahoma State vs. No. 10 Colorado
(9 p.m., ESPN, Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas)

San Antonio will host another entertaining and competitive game between two league runners-up, but Colorado's experience and balance will make the difference. Mason Rudolph and James Washington strike early, but Colorado rallies behind running back Phillip Lindsey to cap an improbable season under coach Mike MacIntyre. Colorado 38, Oklahoma State 35.

Would have been nice if he'd bothered to spell Phillip's surname correctly, but again ... there it is.

I think Colorado actually beats Okie Lite comfortably. The offense will have time off to get rested up and back to early season levels against a terrible OSU defense. OSU's offense is all about the passing game...which is a very bad draw for them against our secondary. This game really looks like it plays to Colorado's strengths.

Buffs 49
Pokes 24

Do the Cowboys have a running back who averages 6 a carry between the tackles? Do they have two of them?

Posted this in another thread, but believe that it also belongs here:

To the mods: Love the new masthead!! (y)

all i'm saying is we need to show up and block and tackle and win against a team that has been pretty good for a while now.

a lot better than we have been.

Do the Cowboys have a running back who averages 6 a carry between the tackles? Do they have two of them?

They have a rb who had over 1,000. Rudolph threw for 3700 yds 26tds 4 ints.

Their defense is not good.

This is a really good matchup for us. Agree with Buffedup, but not as comfortably. Rudolph is the best quarterback we've seen not named Luke Falk this year in my opinion, and he's good enough to get his, but I don't think they'll be able to stop the ground game, especially if Sefo is healthy. I see us winning 38-31 or something like that. One of the best games of the bowl season on paper.

Father in law is supposed to get game tickets. I reserved a hotel room. We are driving down, leaving very early on the 28th so we can hit The Salt Lick in Driftwood for dinner. Then sleep and head to the hotel. Maybe should of stayed in Austin but figured I'd rather drive another hour then sleep in.

I just hope that we play to win and not as we are just happy to be there. I also hope we don't come in with the "Sefo is injured but he is a tough player so let's keep him in there to honor him even though he is hurting" type of mentality.
Sefo has earned the right to stay in if can still walk and wants to play, no matter what the **** you think.

Hardly a unique take, but I think the matchup to watch will be the Buffs offense vs. the OSU defense.

Just looking at some stats, the thing that jumps out is they give up a lot of yardage, not surprisingly given their conference:

Rushing defense: 91st
Rushing defense YPA: 86th
Passing defense: 95th
Passing defense YPA: 92nd
Total defense: 108th
20+ yard plays given up: 104th
40+ yard plays given up: 108th

So they give up a lot of yardage and they give it up in chunks. But then you looking at their scoring defense and it seems almost like an outlier until you look at other important stats.

Scoring defense: 65th
Sacks: 32nd
Takeaways: 20th
Third down defense: 62nd
Red zone score percentage: 19th
Red zone TD percentage: 50th

So their defense is not great by any stretch, but seem to be more opportunistic than the yardage totals would portray. Can the offense win this matchup?

Hardly a unique take, but I think the matchup to watch will be the Buffs offense vs. the OSU defense.

Just looking at some stats, the thing that jumps out is they give up a lot of yardage, not surprisingly given their conference:

So they give up a lot of yardage and they give it up in chunks. But then you looking at their scoring defense and it seems almost like an outlier until you look at other important stats.

So their defense is not great by any stretch, but seem to be more opportunistic than the yardage totals would portray. Can the offense win this matchup?

Yes

Going deep early and often would be wise. If BL doesn't gameplan to throw all over them, then he needs to go plain and simple. To put it nicely, OSU has a horrible defense. They have lived off of turnovers for a few years. They get takeaways and it'll be close. We go with the 1st half Michigan gameplan and this game is over early. Middle and deep passes will be open. They have athletes, but their scheme is crap.

Offensively, they have talent. Rudolph is a good qb, Washington can fly (we will need to bracket him like we did washingtons receivers) and their runningbacks are figuring it out. Their Oline has been garbage for a couple years but might be figuring it out a bit. They have a big receiver in Seals and they use multiple tightends out of the pistol formation. Our linebackers will need to be on their A game...and really above it if possible. Not that they can't play football, they're just slow. Gamboa will be a mismatch for us we will need to scheme around as they pass to the runningbacks frequently.

All things said, if we show up and play defense like we know we can, and BL actually gameplans to attack the weaknesses of a defense, then we will roll. OSU is a decent team, but a down Big12 helped their record.

Back