What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bowl projections

Holiday bowl would still be great. Blows me away that Alamo is rated higher. That being said, win the next two and we are at least in the Rose Bowl at worst which is pretty damn cool.
I think the Cotton Bowl is a very good possibility if we lose in the CCG

A scrappy undefeated WMU team playing against an unexpected bowl contender entering a high-end bowl after a long drought.... both teams would be into it I think. And both fanbases.
Sounds a bit like CSU vs WSU a couple of years ago. So... no.

I have this nagging feeling that if we lose the CCG, USC ends up leapfrogging us into the Rose Bowl. We really needed UW to win that game. If we win the CCG, we go to the playoffs. The Rose Bowl is getting squeezed out of our potential landing spots. That annoys me greatly.

I have this nagging feeling that if we lose the CCG, USC ends up leapfrogging us into the Rose Bowl. We really needed UW to win that game. If we win the CCG, we go to the playoffs. The Rose Bowl is getting squeezed out of our potential landing spots. That annoys me greatly.
Need ND to win this weekend and then we will be safe.

I wish people would stop worrying so much about this.

USC beat CU. Head-to-head matters.

If we both finish with 3 losses and the final CU game is a neutral site loss to a Washington team that USC whipped in Seattle... then USC deserves to be selected over CU.

If the Buffs want to get to the Rose Bowl, the team has to earn it by winning these final 2 games.

If we both finish with 3 losses and the final CU game is a neutral site loss to a Washington team that USC whipped in Seattle... then USC deserves to be selected over CU.

If the Buffs want to get to the Rose Bowl, the team has to earn it by winning these final 2 games.

Problem is that I think it's very possible that we still don't go to the Rose Bowl even if we win these last two games. That would mean the committee chose OU over us, which I think is very unlikely given the teams we will be playing these last three weeks.

Come on Nik, we haven't been able to play the bowl scenario "what if" game for a decade - we're just making up for lost time, let us have our fun :D.

Problem is that I think it's very possible that we still don't go to the Rose Bowl even if we win these last two games. That would mean the committee chose OU over us, which I think is very unlikely given the teams we will be playing these last three weeks.

Huh? Rose Bowl isn't part of CFP

We win out and top prize is CFP, "consolation" is Rose Bowl if we land outside top 4

If you win the Pac-12, you get the Rose Bowl tie-in, not sure what you're talking about.

Huh? Rose Bowl isn't part of CFP

We win out and top prize is CFP, "consolation" is Rose Bowl if we land outside top 4
I know all that. I don't think we will land outside the top four if we win out. I also think if we lose the CCG, USC takes that spot in the Rose Bowl. It's either playoffs or Alamo Bowl for us. That's how I see this playing out, anyway.

Again, just looking at last year there is a very real chance that the loser of the Pac-12 championship game doesn't drop in the rankings. You can say all you want that USC should be higher than CU because of head to head but if CU wins this week they will have one less loss in the regular season than USC. It doesn't really matter if USC beat a UW team that beats CU in the championship game, USC will have also lost to Stanford and Utah that CU beat.

Agree. UW losing to USC screwed Colorado in multiple ways:
  • Had UW been undefeated going into the P12CG, CU would almost be guaranteed to be in the Playoff if they won. Now it's not a guarantee, but still possible.
  • Had UW been undefeated going into the P12CG, it also was likely that CU would have been by far the next highest ranked team in the P12 if UW had won, which would have meant CU landed in the Rose Bowl. UW is also less likely to get into the playoff, which means that they'd go to the Rose Bowl even if they won.
  • USC got a huge boost in the rankings, which squeezes CU out of the Rose in case they lose the P12 CG

Again, just looking at last year there is a very real chance that the loser of the Pac-12 championship game doesn't drop in the rankings. You can say all you want that USC should be higher than CU because of head to head but if CU wins this week they will have one less loss in the regular season than USC. It doesn't really matter if USC beat a UW team that beats CU in the championship game, USC will have also lost to Stanford and Utah that CU beat.
I hope you're right, but I just don't see it playing out that way. Still some football left to be played. We will see how it all shakes out.

I know all that. I don't think we will land outside the top four if we win out. I also think if we lose the CCG, USC takes that spot in the Rose Bowl. It's either playoffs or Alamo Bowl for us. That's how I see this playing out, anyway.
If you're running under the premise Michigan can beat Ohio State, I guess. But I don't think they can, it's on the road without Speight and they've looked awful these last two weeks. We'd have to get in over both an 11-1 tOSU and the winner of the B1G title game between PSU/Wisc, which the committee clearly favors both ahead of us.

Cu would also finish with 1 more win than USC. Everybody focuses so much on number of losses, but when you start trying to compare teams that haven't played the same number of games, you have to focus on the winning percentage, not just the number of loses I would think.

Sounds like the Rose Bowl folks are excited about the prospect of inviting Colorado. Don't know whether we can pull this off or not, but apparently they expect Colorado to bring 60k to the game. I'm sure they'd be more happy to have SC, but I think they are pretty excited to have us as well. Let's just win. Everything else will take care of itself.

If you're running under the premise Michigan can beat Ohio State, I guess. But I don't think they can, it's on the road without Speight and they've looked awful these last two weeks. We'd have to get in over both an 11-1 tOSU and the winner of the B1G title game between PSU/Wisc, which the committee clearly favors both ahead of us.
One of those teams will end the year as a two loss non-conference champion. That team, whichever one it is, won't be in the playoff.
If Wisconsin somehow manages to win the BiG, then I could see one of those other schools getting in to the playoff as well. Maybe.

Man, what a weak mentality. I want to see how this team stacks up against the best.
We already know how they stack up. We played Michigan and USC and lost.
We are several top 20 recruiting classes away from competing against the likes of Alabama.

Again, JMHO. I can see the attraction of the playoffs, but for where we are in the rebuilding stage of the program, we aren't ready yet.

Go to the Rose Bowl, in the middle of our most important recruiting grounds, and play a game against a team we have a reasonable chance of beating in front of 50,000 or more Buffs faithful, or travel all the way across the country to play in what amounts to a home game against the best team in the country. The choice is pretty easy for me.

This is just like the NCAA Tournament argument. Go home in the first round of the NCAA or win the NIT.

You always want to go to the Dance. Always.

As a fan, going to LA would be more fun than going to ATL, but it is better for the conference, for the program and the university for CU to go to the CFP.

I don't understand using Michigan as justification for why we can't compete against Alabama and so we should go play in a bowl "against a team we have a reasonable chance against", likely the Michigan team (or someone of their caliber) you use as justification for why we can't compete with the best.

We are several top 20 recruiting classes away from competing against the likes of Alabama.

Again, JMHO. I can see the attraction of the playoffs, but for where we are in the rebuilding stage of the program, we aren't ready yet.

Go to the Rose Bowl, in the middle of our most important recruiting grounds, and play a game against a team we have a reasonable chance of beating in front of 50,000 or more Buffs faithful, or travel all the way across the country to play in what amounts to a home game against the best team in the country. The choice is pretty easy for me.

Stupid if you ask me.

It is HARD to win a National Championship. The fact that Colorado might have a shot at it in any given season should be a chance worth taking.

I don't care how long the odds are, you go in and put yourself against the best and see what happens.

You want to create an epic college football story? You want to have feature films made about your sports moment? You go in and beat Alabama, and win the whole damn thing and we hang another National Championship banner in Folsom.

The worst that happens is you lose.

That is a chance you should relish, even if the likelihood of it happening is only 1%.

I think we beat Michigan, on the road, with a healthy Sefo and competent punt team (which we seemingly have now), and I don't think it's out of the question to suggest we beat SC on the road with Sefo playing. The Rose Bowl is likely going to be against Michigan or Ohio State... So either a rematch (gross) or a game against a team with every bit the talent and coaching that Bama has. CFP >>>>> Rose Bowl

This is just like the NCAA Tournament argument. Go home in the first round of the NCAA or win the NIT.

You always want to go to the Dance. Always.

As a fan, going to LA would be more fun than going to ATL, but it is better for the conference, for the program and the university for CU to go to the CFP.

Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. Maybe I'm just being selfish. I have dreamed about watching CU in the Rose Bowl.

I honestly feel that it is in the best long term interest of this program to play with in the Rose Bowl. I've articulated my reasoning. Anybody can disagree with me if they want.

Back