What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you get that from that post?
He said a high level donor who is not actively searching for information.

Names leaked by AD and/or donor as "candidates", should have been labeled "shoot for the moon candidates".
Only Gibbs was interested, others LOL'd (ode to Slider).

Don't think they'd sit down for an interview if they were LOL'ing. Wasn't a shoot for the moon list at all. Durkin and Gibbs took another job and the process moved on.

From phone

Last edited:
He said a high level donor who is not actively searching for information. Then posted conjecture from said donor?
From phone

my Donor contact is basically sitting this one out after stadium drive and scholar/donor pledge. I can't get him to go back seeking more info. So yeah, he's in dark at this point, but he had some info earlier on.

And my bad in that I forgot about DJ and was really addressing this Seto stuff.

I like RG btw 100%. He's done a ton. But let's not pretend he's an experienced AD with hiring coaches. I think he's gaining valuable experience.

Got ya. Unless I am mistaken, the Seto stuff has always been posters just floating how much they like him. Nothing ever linking him to CU as a credible candidate?

What role does RG play in hiring coaches anyway? Sounds like he's the one that needs to close and failed to do so?

Here's my assumption, from Adam's posts and 1 high level donor who is not actively seeking information.

HCMM wanted to make a change and discussed the financials with RG.
RG approached donor base, threw out some top names as a possibility, and secured financial backing.
Names leaked by AD and/or donor as "candidates", should have been labeled "shoot for the moon candidates".
Only Gibbs was interested, others LOL'd (ode to Slider).

RG realizes mistake of earlier leaks and decides this isn't the way to hire an assistant.
HCMM, lacking said coaching tree, sets about on a long and thorough search, vetting candidates from up-n-comers, to older NFL guys and several in between. This process resembles his prior hires of both his initial staff at SJSU and his later hire of Lungren.
Process is down to a few candidates getting 2nd interviews.

Seto is not interested in leaving Seattle period.
Candidate is not with an NFL team currently involved with playoffs.
Eventual hire may not be any more exciting than the MWC/WAC hires, but a better fit with what HCMM wants to do and the chemistry seems right.
Everyone will bitch and moan.
Slider will wish we would just get it over with and hire PJ Fleck of WMU, the least successful coach there in a decade. But he has some high profile recruits signed up, so that is everything - clearly a better hire. Ignoring the fact that said ratings this low have zero track record of ever being accurate and that CU's own history shows that high rated recruits that choose loser programs almost never work out and are Broken Toys.

Can't wait for the melt-down.
I, for one, will not melt down. At worst, it's addition by subtraction. One thing for sure, Mac knows, philosophically, what kind of defense he wants to run and is looking for a guy who will be on the same page. I think chemistry between Mac and the new guy may be as important as any other factor.

I'll just sat his: Baer left/got shoved, 12/22, dead period and the coaching convention ame and went and still nada. Every coordinator job of note has been filled excepting UU. This isn't looking good.

I'll just sat his: Baer left/got shoved, 12/22, dead period and the coaching convention ame and went and still nada. Every coordinator job of note has been filled excepting UU. This isn't looking good.
This is the same amount of time tons of other schools have taken this cycle alone to find a new guy. We know jack **** at this point. Actually, we know a few things. Gibbs and Durkin were offered, both turned the job down. But that's it.

Except it's far more likely we've been looking since right after the Utah game. That's when patr and crew started saying that there would be changes. Just took Baer a couple of weeks to lock up the UNLV gig so it could be announced.

On the plus side, no real rush since we can coast on recruiting. Nobody wants our commits and we're only recruiting a couple of guys atm.

I, for one, will not melt down. At worst, it's addition by subtraction. One thing for sure, Mac knows, philosophically, what kind of defense he wants to run and is looking for a guy who will be on the same page. I think chemistry between Mac and the new guy may be as important as any other factor.
Yeah, I think this is where I am at with this process.

I love how Seto's tanking his gameplan on purpose today because he already has a handshake agreement with MacIntyre to be our new DC. I see ya, Rocky.

I will only melt down if we don't add a bonified recruiter to the staff. I am concerned we don't upgrade the staff enough to out recruit our pac12 rivals.
I take it as a good sign we didn't hire clune or Orlando. Hopefully it means MMac isn't settling and he will bring in someone with a higher ceiling. There are still a lot of good candidates out there.

I'm with DBT on this one. There is no magic bullet for CU. We're going to get an incremental upgrade and this rebuild process will continue it's slow progression.

Well on the tiny chance Seto is our man, i hope their bizarre victory doesnt delay the announcement for 2 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since when do Athletic director's hire assistant coaches?

They don't.

So either something's really wonky at CU in this or RG is doing what an AD is supposed to do -- setting the resources while supporting the HC as asked during the interview and wooing process.

Since I've heard nothing to suggest "wonky", I'll assume the latter.

Just being better than Baer is not enough. MacIntyre needs to make a good hire here or he likely does not get to make another similar one. The next guy needs to be a clear upgrade and a competent DC, at the very least.

This is the same amount of time tons of other schools have taken this cycle alone to find a new guy. We know jack **** at this point. Actually, we know a few things. Gibbs and Durkin were offered, both turned the job down. But that's it.

LOL. love that unlimited reserve of sunshine you have. If by tons you mean Utah, then you'd be right, everyone else has filled their gigs, at least the schools anyone cares about. Hopefully. MikMac gets a good DC, but it surely won't be anyone that has a "wow" factor. Maybe he finds the DC equivalent of Lindgren, who knows.

I love all the doomsday conjecture as if not having a DC today is any more alarming than not having one last weekend. It's someone on an NFL staff. Guaran-f******-teed

It might be, but it's nobody that's been targeted before now. This search has not gone the way most inside Dal Ward had expected.

Just being better than Baer is not enough. MacIntyre needs to make a good hire here or he likely does not get to make another similar one. The next guy needs to be a clear upgrade and a competent DC, at the very least.
As for my post, I said "at worst" it'll be addition by subtraction. It sure as hell needs to be more than that. I think Mac will have more input than he did with Baer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back