What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Guess the Attendance: UCLA

...Quick guesstimating, ingenuity and a little math puts us around 44,000. Were not doing nearly as bad as we think! .....
I'd argue if this game isn't (or wasn't a week ago) sold out, its nothing to be proud of and worse than we think.... As a wise man once said, "We're a sh**tty entitled fanbase".

I'd argue if this game isn't (or wasn't a week ago) sold out, its nothing to be proud of and worse than we think.... As a wise man once said, "We're a sh**tty entitled fanbase".

I was basing that off of the earlier update that said we were at 39,000. It's better than that but still not acceptable.

I was basing that off of the earlier update that said we were at 39,000. It's better than that but still not acceptable.
FWIW, wasn't intended to be bagging on your post.... was just venting my annoyance that its not sold out and we even have to have a thread about attendance on this one. Apologies if the tone made it sound directed more your way.

FWIW, wasn't intended to be bagging on your post.... was just venting my annoyance that its not sold out and we even have to have a thread about attendance on this one. Apologies if the tone made it sound directed more your way.

This too! Know your market. And know the tremendous value for the brand of having this particular game sold out. RG needs to figure that out.

No worries, was just explaining my thinking on that one. I personally expected a sell out so I'm really surprised it's where it is. We've had this discussion a few days ago but CU needs to figure out pricing. I know it's about making money but $122 for two tickets is insane for a team that hasn't proven its consistently good in a very long time. They should be focusing on getting people there and building excitement again. Make people fans again more than anything else.

No worries, was just explaining my thinking on that one. I personally expected a sell out so I'm really surprised it's where it is. We've had this discussion a few days ago but CU needs to figure out pricing. I know it's about making money but $122 for two tickets is insane for a team that hasn't proven its consistently good in a very long time. They should be focusing on getting people there and building excitement again. Make people fans again more than anything else.
Agreed. Get 'em to Folsom and people will come back....

Couldn't agree more.... and same thing for basketball too.... Drives me crazy! There's just soooo much value a sold-out game day experience brings to the program. Value can be turned into future ROI (the investment being the revenue given up on short-term discounted seats). When both venues are sold out, they create such a buzz for future season ticket sales and media coverage that are marketing gold.... leading to more demand and higher, sustainable ticket prices (and the buzz doesn't hurt recruiting in state either).

I'm sure there were cheaper tickets available earlier, but if you are trying to buy tix now, expect to pay more. I was told today by CU ticket office that all less expensive tier tickets are gone, and few middle price tier seats remain.
This game would be a sell out except a good portion of our fan base drives in from Denver and traffic that time of a weekday SUCKS to try to get out of Denver and into Boulder

I'm sure there were cheaper tickets available earlier, but if you are trying to buy tix now, expect to pay more. I was told today by CU ticket office that all less expensive tier tickets are gone, and few middle price tier seats remain.
This game would be a sell out except a good portion of our fan base drives in from Denver and traffic that time of a weekday SUCKS to try to get out of Denver and into Boulder

Yep not a convenient time at all! Also yep all the cheap tickets are gone. Mainly $55 and up.

Just a fair warning. Don't freak out if the students aren't there that early. It may because I am in my graduate year and my classes are naturally later for people that may be working jobs while going to class, but I have class until 6:15. By the time that class gets out and I get a couple drinks in me and the walk over, I will be pushing for time and I live for games like this. I would skip the class if it wasn't for an exam review.

Last edited:
Just a fair warning. Don't freak out if the students aren't there that early. It may because I am in my graduate year and my classes are naturally later for people that may be working jobs while going to class, but I have class until 6:15. By the time that class gets out and I get a couple drinks in me in the walk over, I will be pushing to for time and I live for games like this. I would skip the class if it wasn't for an exam review.
I'm not excusing any tardies. Recommend you start drinking during class and get your lazy ass to Folsom for kickoff. win/win

I just got a text from my daughter (a junior at CU) and she said the student section is sold out. She didn't know until today if she could go, but now she can, but there are no more cheap seats left. This game will not be a complete sellout, but Folsom will be rocking. Thursday evening is prime party night in Boulder, the students are stoked for this game, and it is definitely a Big Thing on campus. There will be a good raucous showing on national TV. The Buffs just need to take care of business at home. If one is a betting man, one should take the Buffs minus the points.

I think the discussion about pricing is fair. This time last year CU couldn't sell $35 special discounted tickets in the lower bowl the week before the game (Actually there were a couple games where they offered me $25 tickets). Now they offer special 60 dollar tickets the week before a game when they aren't close to sold out. CU tickets have always been a tough sell, even when they were very, very good. The athletic department and marketing department need to understand that they need to build on the excitement, not cut it off at the knees. If they were still offering the prices from last year, the tickets would be selling and they would have a much more full stadium. A full stadium and a great environment would build the excitement and certainly couldn't hurt the team's performance. Then CU could gradually raise prices while maintaining the excitement. Instead, in typical CU AD fashion they manage to shoot themselves in the foot.

Absolutely. At this point the AD needs to find the price points that are going to get games sold out and wait a season or two before jacking the price up as then the value will be there (assuming the success continues) and so will the demand.

Yeah cut prices again, that's a great way to build a pathetic season ticket holder base. This is what happens when you let bohn run the AD for a couple years. If you want cheap tickets, buy season tickets and sell the games you don't want. The bitching has to stop from people who don't support the team and then are mad when they can't get in to see a top 25 team for less than $50 bucks a ticket which isn't very expensive at all by the way.

After the CFP I think we need to boost our numbers. I think somehow we will have 56k. People will be sneaking in yo!

Yeah cut prices again, that's a great way to build a pathetic season ticket holder base. This is what happens when you let bohn run the AD for a couple years. If you want cheap tickets, buy season tickets and sell the games you don't want. The bitching has to stop from people who don't support the team and then are mad when they can't get in to see a top 25 team for less than $50 bucks a ticket which isn't very expensive at all by the way.

I don't think anyone here is bitching about the prices to a game most of us have our tickets to, I know I do. We're talking about the lack of a sell out for a top 25 team on national television. The prices might not be a lot to you but they probably are to casual fans. They run promos all the time and I'd like them to do whatever they can to sell-out the games, kids deserve it.

I don't think anyone here is bitching about the prices to a game most of us have our tickets to, I know I do. We're talking about the lack of a sell out for a top 25 team on national television. The prices might not be a lot to you but they probably are to casual fans. They run promos all the time and I'd like them to do whatever they can to sell-out the games, kids deserve it.
I have to agree with Buffsrock here. The goal is to obtain new season ticket holders, not to keep the stadium empty. Recent graduates or people with young families are on tight budgets and like it or not the ticket to a football game is expensive for them and season tickets are a major investment, particularly when they add in the donation required for those tickets. To get people to want to make that type of commitment you have to draw them in, show them a good product, show them excitement, make the game a must see event both on the field and by creating ticket scarcity where going becomes a social status symbol. Don't just assume because you're good for the first time in a decade that people will suddenly show up. They didn't when CU had that attitude in the past and they won't if CU maintains that attitude in the future.

The way that you build a dedicated fanbase is by taking the same approach that HCMM took to building this team- no shortcuts. You give discounts to students and young alumni and put a good product on the field. This is the lion's share of your future season tix holder base. They come to the games and have a blast and then become lifelong season tix holders.

If you take the shortcut and cut tix prices now just to fill the seats, season tix holders begin to feel like they're not getting the value they were expecting and they give up their season pass the next year and start buying single game tix instead. All of this leads to a nearly empty stadium when a down year hits for the team and you are in a cycle of slashing prices and decreasing revenues.

-Summary- Don't devalue season tickets. It's a much tougher decision to let season tix lapse than to choose not to purchase a single game ticket when the team's down.

Last edited:
The way that you build a dedicated fanbase is by taking the same approach that HCMM took to building this team- no shortcuts. You give discounts to students and young alumni and put a good product on the field. This is the lion's share of your future season tix holder base. They come to the games and have a blast and then become lifelong season tix holders.

If you take the shortcut and cut tix prices now just to fill the seats, season tix holders begin to feel like they're not getting the value they were expecting and they give up their season pass the next year and start buying single game tix instead. All of this leads to a nearly empty stadium when a down year hits for the team and you are in a cycle of slashing prices and decreasing revenues.

I respect your point. But I'd argue that the "value" of season tickets is in being able to get access to a product no one else can. If you get the price point to where every major game is sold out and the only way to get access to those is by having a season ticket, then you've created a strong demand/market for having a season ticket. The perception of exclusivity drives the purchase at that point. You need to kick-start that process by getting people in the seats.

To make a HCMM analogy in doing things the right way, think of a season or two of getting the stadium filled at a discounted price as the same thing as hiring Darrin Chiaverini..... it will greatly help jump start progress and turn around the previous production.

I respect your point. But I'd argue that the "value" of season tickets is in being able to get access to a product no one else can. If you get the price point to where every major game is sold out and the only way to get access to those is by having a season ticket, then you've created a strong demand/market for having a season ticket. The perception of exclusivity drives the purchase at that point. You need to kick-start that process by getting people in the seats.

To make a HCMM analogy in doing things the right way, think of a season or two of getting the stadium filled at a discounted price as the same thing as hiring Darrin Chiaverini..... it will greatly help jump start progress and turn around the previous production.
Not making judgments or being snarky but are you a season ticket holder?

Your situation only works if the team is as good as they are currently for the rest of time. Once there is a dropoff in play, the guaranteed money you would see from season tix holders would not be there and no one is buying walk-up tickets.

11/1
upload_2016-11-1_11-55-53-png.21348

11/2
upload_2016-11-2_8-11-43.png

It is apparent to me, given the movement of seats, that ticket prices are not the problem. It is value for the seat.

Looking like it's gonna be not as well attended as thought...prob cuz it's Thursday night game. Revised guess....44,670.

Back