What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Guess the Attendance: UCLA

I respect your point. But I'd argue that the "value" of season tickets is in being able to get access to a product no one else can. If you get the price point to where every major game is sold out and the only way to get access to those is by having a season ticket, then you've created a strong demand/market for having a season ticket. The perception of exclusivity drives the purchase at that point. You need to kick-start that process by getting people in the seats.

To make a HCMM analogy in doing things the right way, think of a season or two of getting the stadium filled at a discounted price as the same thing as hiring Darrin Chiaverini..... it will greatly help jump start progress and turn around the previous production.
Pretty much the entire value of season tickets is buying in bulk at a cheaper rate per game than buying a single ticket for each game. It's why Broncos tickets are so valuable and many people that have them don't end up going to a game all season. In order to develop a strong season ticket holder base you simply cannot break that agreement. The ticket office understands this and even when they want to get more people to games they offer these deals to season ticket holders only.

Yeah cut prices again, that's a great way to build a pathetic season ticket holder base. This is what happens when you let bohn run the AD for a couple years. If you want cheap tickets, buy season tickets and sell the games you don't want. The bitching has to stop from people who don't support the team and then are mad when they can't get in to see a top 25 team for less than $50 bucks a ticket which isn't very expensive at all by the way.
This is great and all, but the fact of the matter is, tickets are too expensive right now for the amount of people it takes to buy them all in order to sell out. If the AD wants the fan base to support the team, then they need to sell tickets at a price that creates more demand. Or don't, and then the stadium will be about 80% full.

The people who have season tickets for 2016 aren't going anywhere, regardless of what you do to the remaining ticket prices for "walk ups". The remaining 3 home games should be about getting butts in the seats and creating excitement with as many "new" fans as possible, which in turn, will increase season tickets sales for next season.

11/1
upload_2016-11-1_11-55-53-png.21348

11/2
View attachment 21365

It is apparent to me, given the movement of seats, that ticket prices are not the problem. It is value for the seat.
Tell me how this isn't a ticket price issue?

Pretty much the entire value of season tickets is buying in bulk at a cheaper rate per game than buying a single ticket for each game. It's why Broncos tickets are so valuable and many people that have them don't end up going to a game all season. In order to develop a strong season ticket holder base you simply cannot break that agreement. The ticket office understands this and even when they want to get more people to games they offer these deals to season ticket holders only.
yup. Football season tickets, for me, have been a stupid financial decision since I left school. I kept doing it just to build up points with the AD. Most people don't care about that. This season is the first one where having a season ticket has saved me money. I have lots of friends who have asked about tickets, and I've gone from having free tickets for them to buying tickets for them with my season ticket holder discount. But it is still more per game than my season tickets. Next year, at least some of those people will be season ticket holders.

Pain now for gain later.

This is great and all, but the fact of the matter is, tickets are too expensive right now for the amount of people it takes to buy them all in order to sell out. If the AD wants the fan base to support the team, then they need to sell tickets at a price that creates more demand. Or don't, and then the stadium will be about 80% full.

The people who have season tickets for 2016 aren't going anywhere, regardless of what you do to the remaining ticket prices for "walk ups". The remaining 3 home games should be about getting butts in the seats and creating excitement with as many "new" fans as possible, which in turn, will increase season tickets sales for next season.
You know what gets more season ticket holders next year? Not caving into stupid thoughts of casual fans that think tickets are too expensive (seriously they should look around the country at college football ticket prices for a team like this). If those people think it's too expensive per game then maybe next year they will purchase them before the season start. If the ticket office caves now, those people, like they do right now, think tickets will be cheaper during the season and they don't have to buy season tickets. This game might be a little rough because it is a Thursday night but WSU and Utah will be fine with the exception of the students just like ASU and Oregon State were.

disagree.
the main advanatage to buying season tickets for most big time CFB programs and NFL teams is not to get a "bulk discount".

I don't have many data points, but for VT Hokie and Green Bay Packer season tickets, there is no savings. you pay (number of games) * (full face value). ACtually, for the Packers, you pay more because of the PSL policy. VT, likewise, requires a minimum $500 Hokie Club annual donation to purcase season tickets, so the season ticket holders in both cases actually pay more than someone who would purchase each game individusally through the box office.

the advantage to being a season ticket holder is knowing that 100% guaranteed, you have tickets to evey game.

The bump in season tickets will come when games start selling out and fans cannot get into games.

P.S. I rarely disagree with you and generally find your comments on point and insightful

disagree.
the main advanatage to buying season tickets for most big time CFB programs and NFL teams is not to get a "bulk discount".

I don't have many data points, but for VT Hokie and Green Bay Packer season tickets, there is no savings. you pay (number of games) * (full face value). ACtually, for the Packers, you pay more because of the PSL policy. VT, likewise, requires a minimum $500 Hokie Club annual donation to purcase season tickets, so the season ticket holders in both cases actually pay more than someone who would purchase each game individusally through the box office.

the advantage to being a season ticket holder is knowing that 100% guaranteed, you have tickets to evey game.

The bump in season tickets will come when games start selling out and fans cannot get into games.

P.S. I rarely disagree with you and generally find your comments on point and insightful

You also get priority access to special events.

disagree.

This is not true for a team like Colorado that is making up ground with fans. If the success is sustained, than yes, that will become the benefit, but currently you can not pitch that as the value of CU football season tickets. It would fall flat.

This is not true for a team like Colorado that is making up ground with fans. If the success is sustained, than yes, that will become the benefit, but currently you can not pitch that as the value of CU football season tickets. It would fall flat.

right. like I posted above, we need games to sell out and for fans to go home sad and bitter that they couldn't get a ticket before that value proposition sells here.
Assuming the rise continues, I predict USC and Washington will sell out next year and we'll see the bump in season tickets before the 2018 season (although, that home scheudle is weak, so it might be the 2019 season when fans buy season tickets to make sure they get into the NU game.[/QUOTE]

I buy broncos season tickets for the game not because of a "discount." It's still expensive as hell, it's something like $77 and $100 per ticket for variable games. That's in 1 section for 4, the other section I have of 4 is like $120-150. Standard prices range from $97, $121, $150 and $197. Anyways on point, the buffs seem to be using a similar process here. Charging slightly more for some of these games. Earlier in the season there were deals for Idaho state and such. I feel as if there is a lot of confusion on here, at least to me. I know they're trying to create demand and not reduce ticket prices. But in the past they've done tons of deals and specials. My entire point was why don't they do some of those to get some more people to the game? Instead of $55, drop the sidelines to $40-45 or do 4 pack sets for $150. It doesn't even have to BE an incredible value, it just has to SEEM like one, people like deals. Hell they could say "SPECIAL! $49 lower level tickets" and people would think it's a super good rate.

disagree.

Yeah but if you want to go to a game you can go to any game you want to really, you just have to pay for it. I'm not really familiar with VTech games or Packer games for that matter all I know if the tickets I have access to for Broncos games routinely go for 90-100 bucks above face value. We don't see any of the normal season ticket holders and haven't for a while because they sell all their tickets and make a ton of money. I know multiple season ticket holders that haven't been to a game in 10 years and have contracts in place to sell their tickets every year to the same person.

Priority access to events and ticket deals is definitely part of it like S2S said but most importantly like any business, they like to lock in a certain amount of revenue early at a little bit of a discount.

You know what gets more season ticket holders next year? Not caving into stupid thoughts of casual fans that think tickets are too expensive (seriously they should look around the country at college football ticket prices for a team like this). If those people think it's too expensive per game then maybe next year they will purchase them before the season start. If the ticket office caves now, those people, like they do right now, think tickets will be cheaper during the season and they don't have to buy season tickets. This game might be a little rough because it is a Thursday night but WSU and Utah will be fine with the exception of the students just like ASU and Oregon State were.
Ok, then we shouldn't be expecting sellouts this year, plain and simple. It's basic economics as to why they aren't selling more tickets, and it comes down to the price, period. That's all my point was getting at. I'm not able to make it to every game due to my coaching obligations, but I have been to 2 of the 3 games at Folsom this year and have paid $60+ a ticket for groups of 5 and 6 respectively. I'm not personally complaining about the prices, as attending games is a priority when I am able to do so, but I don't think it's really debatable as to why the ticket sales aren't where we'd like them to be. Everything you and others have said makes sense, I just think this is a very unique situation that creates an opportunity to capitalize on both the short term AND the long term. Nobody is turning in their season tickets next year, regardless of how annoyed they might be about single game ticket prices, and there's a strong possibility that they'd sell more this year and create more season ticket buyers next year.

There are moving $225 tickets faster than they are moving $130 tickets.
Better value to sit club level than on the bleachers, for people who don't care how much tickets are. For the average person, I think it's very clear that it has everything to do with price.

Ok, then we shouldn't be expecting sellouts this year, plain and simple. It's basic economics as to why they aren't selling more tickets, and it comes down to the price, period. That's all my point was getting at. I'm not able to make it to every game due to my coaching obligations, but I have been to 2 of the 3 games at Folsom this year and have paid $60+ a ticket for groups of 5 and 6 respectively. I'm not personally complaining about the prices, as attending games is a priority when I am able to do so, but I don't think it's really debatable as to why the ticket sales aren't where we'd like them to be. Everything you and others have said makes sense, I just think this is a very unique situation that creates an opportunity to capitalize on both the short term AND the long term. Nobody is turning in their season tickets next year, regardless of how annoyed they might be about single game ticket prices, and there's a strong possibility that they'd sell more this year and create more season ticket buyers next year.

Better value to sit club level than on the bleachers, for people who don't care how much tickets are. For the average person, I think it's very clear that it has everything to do with price.
Yeah it's always going to be tough to get sell outs when the season ticket total is so low and that is clearly what is important to the department at the moment after years making it so low. Trust me I wish tickets were cheaper, I have had a ton of friends wanting to go to games and I don't have any extras or can't find any very cheap but that comes with the territory and although we aren't selling out games they are establishing a value and changing a brand after a decade that destroyed those.

right. like I posted above, we need games to sell out and for fans to go home sad and bitter that they couldn't get a ticket before that value proposition sells here.
Assuming the rise continues, I predict USC and Washington will sell out next year and we'll see the bump in season tickets before the 2018 season (although, that home scheudle is weak, so it might be the 2019 season when fans buy season tickets to make sure they get into the NU game.
[/QUOTE]
Again, your model necessitates sustained success like this year for people to continue to pursue individual tickets. Whereas season tickets are guaranteed revenue that are not as susceptible to volatility and also offers other avenues for AD revenue that "walk up" tickets do not.

For example, if we lower game tickets this season simply to achieve sellouts and next year take a step back to 6-6, your model crumbles. If people see the price break benefit of season tickets they will purchase them in advance of next year and more than likely ride out a mediocre season, hoping for an improved team in 2017 and re upping their tickets.

Another interesting point of this argument is that ticket prices haven't changed. There are just more people looking to get tickets this year and unhappy because they are higher than expected. Forces them to look into season tickets next year.

The AD is operating in the black finally. RG knows what he is doing. I will trust him on this until he gives me reason not to.

Whoa. I was totally mistaken, sidelines seats are $228 for 2 seats. That's a lot. Face value for my broncos tickets is $97 and I'm 10 rows from the field...Oh well. GO BUFFS!

Whoa. I was totally mistaken, sidelines seats are $228 for 2 seats. That's a lot. Face value for my broncos tickets is $97 and I'm 10 rows from the field...Oh well. GO BUFFS!

Dunno where your sideline tickets are, but for seats to the chiefs game on the 50, 10 rows back, ticket values are $665 each + fees. right now. In the corner is $300 each + fees.

Another interesting point of this argument is that ticket prices haven't changed. There are just more people looking to get tickets this year and unhappy because they are higher than expected. Forces them to look into season tickets next year.

The AD is operating in the black finally. RG knows what he is doing. I will trust him on this until he gives me reason not to.

If it helps us all feel better 109 sold its lone ticket that was left so we have more gray.

Dunno where your sideline tickets are, but for seats to the chiefs game on the 50, 10 rows back, ticket values are $665 each + fees. right now. In the corner is $300 each + fees.

Sorry that's Bowl. My sidelines are $150 something a piece.

So you are upper deck, sideline?

No, absolutely not. Where are you getting those prices? Ticketmaster resale? They're $97-121 depending on the game for 115 and $157-194 in section 103. We've had tickets for 54 years lol, we have good seats. The resale on them is an insane rip off.

No, absolutely not. Where are you getting those prices? Ticketmaster resale? They're $97-121 depending on the game for 115 and $157-194 in section 103. We've had tickets for 54 years lol, we have good seats. The resale on them is an insane rip off.

I went to the broncos website and clicked tickets which took me to ticketmaster.

Hold up, you are correct sorry. That whole site is kind of bull****. You go to single game tickets through the bronco website and it takes you to a page with resale options. If I wanted resale options, I would go to a third party site...

Anyway, if I am buying non resale tickets the closest I can get that isn't a club level seat is in section 511 and its face value is $120 + fees.

I went to the broncos website and clicked tickets which took me to ticketmaster.

Hold up, you are correct sorry. That whole site is kind of bull****. You go to single game tickets through the bronco website and it takes you to a page with resale options. If I wanted resale options, I would go to a third party site...

Anyway, if I am buying non resale tickets the closest I can get that isn't a club level seat is in section 511 and its face value is $120 + fees.
Every ticket you buy to a Broncos game is resale... They've been sold out for like 50 years and the the season ticket waiting list is estimated at like 10+ years now.

Yep lol Ticketmaster sucks, they just move you over to resale. Anyways my comparison was that the buffs were only off by like $40 for sideline seats. That's why they're the ones not selling regularly.

Every ticket you buy to a Broncos game is resale... They've been sold out for like 50 years and the the season ticket waiting list is estimated at like 10+ years now.

You can turn off the "resale" option on the website and it gives you single tickets available in random spots. Dunno where they come from but they are available.

And my father

And my father in law has instructions to pass them to me someday.
I put my name on the list when I got out of college and got a call a little over a year later asking if I wanted to purchase them. Would have been around $800 for 2 seats for the season... I turned them down as I wasn't expecting to get a call that quickly and was in an internship making $15/hr. I imagine I'll be close to 40 the next time I get that call and the prices will probably be triple or quadruple that.

Back