What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Guess the Attendance: UCLA

Club Levels look like they will fill up. 200s and the visitor sections are going to be half full, I think.

Every ticket you buy to a Broncos game is resale... They've been sold out for like 50 years and the the season ticket waiting list is estimated at like 10+ years now.
Didn't you tell me that last year you got tix to the Packers game from the box pffice?

I promise this will be my last post on the subject and I apologize in advance for stepping up and preaching a little bit here. I respect all of you and your opinions. But I can't help, this last time, to fully share mine.

I should have made clear in my earlier posts, I have been attending CU games since the mid 70's. My grandfather was a season ticket holder, then I was a student, then I was a season ticket holder. So I get why a season ticket holder might be concerned after the fact that they didn't get a great deal. However, CU hasn't ever, not once, in its entire history sold out its full allotment of season tickets. Further, CU hasn't ever had a single year where all its games were sold out. The closest it ever came was 1995 where they averaged 52,160 fans a game. Technically that is actually more than the stadium held at the time, but for those of us who went to games back then, we know that large sections of the stadium were often empty and that they had additional tickets available on game day that you could buy (With the exception of the Nebraska game that year where 54,063 fans attended, or about 3k more than 'capacity'). Bottom line, protecting season ticket holder value doesn't work at programs where you don't have many or consistent season ticket holders. CU shouldn't try to compare itself to other markets because it is in a different and unique market. They need to understand their market and sell to that market. They need to understand that their policy changes over the years alienated a LOT of ticket holders. I know plenty that say they won't ever go to a CU game again because of stupid decisions from the AD in the past. They need to understand the University alienates a lot of Boulder residents in other ways (Not following city building codes etc). They need to understand that the University alienated an entire nation with the scandal years and even alienated many loyal fans with how they responded to that scandal that turned out not to be one at all. The AD and marketing need to understand that winning helps, but even when everything else was right, it wasn't enough to create sell outs (National championship or not). It is time for CU to be an asset to their students, their student athletes AND to the community and State that it serves. They need to win the hearts and minds of many people for the first time and win back the hearts and minds of many that they lost. Those of us that have been season ticket holders for a long time...well, in some ways we are far less important...or maybe a better way to say it is that we might be certifiable. After all, we've been treated poorly and watched an abysmal product for years...yet we come back and beg for more. Sure we might whine if our perceived value for our tickets wasn't great, but lets face it, we aren't going anywhere. Our reasons for buying CU tickets is different than the average CU graduate or fan.

Bottom line, protecting season ticket holder value is a lame, awful, horrible, weak excuse for a UNIVERSITY not to support their student athletes and to bring revenue into the program. Cutting a special deal for the remaining seats, which would be available to the public, wouldn't cost CU a penny, but it would bring revenue into their coffers. An additional 10,000 butts in the seats at 30 bucks a ticket is $300,000.00....and that is before we start counting additional revenue from parking and concessions. More than likely we are talking about 600k per game for the remaining games that the AD is smugly walking away from. But thinking about the 1.8 million they are leaving on the table in the last three games is short sighted, because they are also walking away from a chance to win those hearts and minds, when there is a good product on the field, when the environment could be infectious...walking away from the best opportunity to sell future season tickets and gain even more revenue. Plus, by not offering these discounts the players on the field get less support than they really deserve...Yes we can blame the fans for that, but we can also blame the University.

CU, if you're listening, its time to step up. It is time to take advantage of the opportunity that is in front of you at this very moment. The opportunity to win a new set of Buff fans and to win back others that have been lost through the years. What oh what, my dear old CU, shall you do? Take advantage of this opportunity or turn your back on it?

Bottom line, your approach costs the university revenue long term by devaluing season tickets and tickets in general. It's not a weak excuse and your analysis is incorrect.

Didn't you tell me that last year you got tix to the Packers game from the box pffice?
They were part of the deal that the Broncos do every year at some point where they sell a few thousand tickets at half price. I guess there must be a scattering of single seats available for some games when they do that, that aren't resale, as both me and my gf had to sit in separate sections.

They were part of the deal that the Broncos do every year at some point where they sell a few thousand tickets at half price. I guess there must be a scattering of single seats available for some games when they do that, that aren't resale, as both me and my gf had to sit in separate sections.
That's great that she bought that story but you can drop the act with us. Most of us have taken a lady to a game. We get it.

Bottom line, your approach costs the university revenue long term by devaluing season tickets and tickets in general. It's not a weak excuse and your analysis is incorrect.
Bottom line, are you going to walk away from your devalued season tickets after this season? I didn't think so. It may not be fair to current season ticket holders, but there is opportunity here for the AD to have it's cake and eat it too. And I know you carry this mentality everywhere you go, but just because you don't agree with something, doesn't mean it's incorrect.

Bottom line, are you going to walk away from your devalued season tickets after this season? I didn't think so. It may not be fair to current season ticket holders, but there is opportunity here for the AD to have it's cake and eat it too. And I know you carry this mentality everywhere you go, but just because you don't agree with something, doesn't mean it's incorrect.
Darth Snow is correct. It's a shortsighted immediate gratification play, rather than targeting more sustainable and sizable revenue.

Also, CitizenKane's argument is a nonstarter for me because at its root is the idea that season tickets have never sold out so we shouldn't even try.

Also, CitizenKane's argument is a nonstarter for me because at its root is the idea that season tickets have never sold out so we shouldn't even try.
Actually, my argument is exactly the opposite, that CU should try, with every tool it has available to get to a season ticket sell out. I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. It is just how to go about doing it.

Darth Snow is correct. It's a shortsighted immediate gratification play, rather than targeting more sustainable and sizable revenue.

Darth's (and others) argument is based on some contrived assumption that season ticket holders are going to be upset and not renew their tickets next year because of the supposed devaluation of their season pass with price slashing of other tickets. If the Buffs were a 2 or 3 win team this year, then I would fully agree, but no season ticket holder is going to walk away after the season they're having this year. I'm not advocating for this to be their business model each and every year, but in the very unique situation they are in right now, I'm of the opinion they should decrease prices (mostly in the 215-220 sections), sell more tickets, gain more season ticket holders next year, profit.

The model that seems to work best is where CU seems to be heading under RG with the changes to stadium configuration.

Mark Cuban was a genius on this.

Basically, it goes like this:

1. Super premium seats for your high rollers.
2. Premium seats in different tiers for other fans.
3. Low cost seats for the rest to fill the building.

So I'd say that both sides of this argument are right, but CU just isn't there yet. The end zone and Champions Center corner turned into premium seating options from being the cheap seats in the past. Rooftop added a premium option addon for any fan. That's great.

But we're in "no man's land" with much of the stadium still.

I'd like to see the following:

1. More super premium when the West side gets re-done with more of the luxury boxes. They need to have some smaller ones, though. Not everyone who is interested in purchasing one has a desire to have one that seats 20 or 40 people. They should put in 8-12 seat boxes on the West side. Charge a fortune.

2. Make other areas that are premium feel like premium. Over $100 for a ticket for a bleacher seat with little food/drink service from vendors and disgusting bathrooms is not going to get it done. 100 level other than student section should be modeled on the North end zone with chairbacks and better service/amenities. I'd want this for the rest of the 100 levels not addressed below. Push tickets to the $125-200 range based on how close to the 50 and how close to the field.

3. NW corner should mirror the NE corner. Some sort of premium addon options. Probably a "Family" section makes the most sense that focuses on kids. Tie this section to Chip's Club VIB Membership with the ability to secure a family bloc of seats.

4. Add a 200 level to the West side across the top. Stick visitor fans up there.

5. Here's one that students may not initially like, but I think that we should go more vertical with the student section. (Instead of 111-117, move the band to 112, make 117 premium, and make 214, 215 & 216 student section).

6. Make the SW corner a "Young Alum" section with significantly discounted seats (like $40 per seat with a small donation added so it's like $300 for a season, including donation). (109, 110, 111 -- they'd migrate into the Student Section anyway)

7. Sell the rest of the 200 sections for between $40 and $75 a seat (say $75 only in 218 at the 50 yard line with 217, 219 & 220 at $60 and the 200 level in the South endzone at $40).

Here's the stadium layout for reference:
Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 11.22.38 AM.png

Last edited:
Actually, my argument is exactly the opposite, that CU should try, with every tool it has available to get to a season ticket sell out. I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. It is just how to go about doing it.
Have you ever subscribed to cable/satellite and received a great introductory price and then had that price double once you had been a customer for a year? Did you call the company angrily and say something along the lines of, "I'm a valued customer, why should I pay twice as much as someone who is just signing on?"

The problem I see with your approach is twofold- promotions can be great in sales/business, but as some point you run the risk of aggravating your valuable customer base who are starting to no longer see the value of their current relationship and you can only slash prices so many times before that just becomes the market value.

tomorrow is going to be one of those slow as **** dayz at work. Then as soon as we get off, balls to the wall getting to Boulder and in our seats.

Thankfully I'm only working a few hours and will be out by 12 on my way down to boulder to avoid traffic. Coming in late Friday too. But that's how those days always go, slow as ****.

Only question I have - what is Howell's deal?

I don't see any reason to understate the number of tickets sold, other than to just be a dick.

CU needs to remove the excuses from more casual fans not buying tickets (within their control obviously). I know they survey all the season ticket holders every off season but it's not them RG needs to worry about. Hopefully this is part of the next 3 year master plan. CU should see a bump in season ticket sales for next season but still I think high water mark there historically was only 25K?

Last edited:
To build on Nik's post, I started with season tickets under the Young Alumni program back in the day. It was a reduced donation and slightly lower priced tickets in the north endzone. I would be all for the same program today, except move the section to somewhere in the south endzone. I have also suggested to the fine folks at the Buff Club that the max donation level sections (105, 106, and 118) need to have chairback seats installed. One limitation may be that the chairbacks take up more room, which would further lower capacity, but that could be offset by higher ticket prices or increased donation level. The other suggestion that I had was to give an option for club level access for those sections for an additional cost. The thing that frustrates me the most is that I pay for the premium location, but have trailer park quality amenities. I pay $825 per seat for 118 (with donation). The touchdown club is $845 and the champions club is $725 including food credit for both. The west side covered seating is $895.

Not working tomorrow. Heading up nice and early, checking into the Harvest House then heading over to the lot to set up the tailgate and drink as soon as the lot opens at 3. Wings and Carne Asada tomorrow with plenty of Rum, Whiskey, and Crazy Neighbor Beer. After we beat some bruin ass, we will be firing up the party at in the lot after the game until traffic is out. Taking Friday off to let the hangover settle out smoothly over drinks and breakfast/brunch before heading out of Boulder. Cannot freaking wait until tomorrow!

Back