What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins

I was a vocal supporter of one more year because I thought the talent level and depth in the program was much worst than casual fans would believe, and probably a lot of serious fans. I can't explain 2009 and the utter failure of the O-Line, Punt and FG teams, along with the early season melt-down of our D. But we are very young and I think the talent we've assembled is the best we've had since the early GB years. One more year was worth it to me, just to find out, for sure, without a doubt that Hawkins wasn't our guy.

Note - I am not convinced he is or isn't, I just thought one more year was worth it.

But, now I've become convinced it was a bad move. Why? It's become very clear to me that the whole Nepotism Issue with his son has taken this to a whole new level. Dan clearly hates the press, the intraweb, and perhaps many of our fan base (especially those who've booed Cody and questioned his coaching). I don't think that it's even a question, Dan has pitted himself against the press and most fans. He isn't backing down, because he thinks he's right. We've debated that 1 million times.

So, it's a bad move because we lose either way:
1. Hawkins proves in 2010 that 2009 was no fluke and we are more dreadful, we go back once again in recruiting and we are now FURTHER from returning to greatness.
2. Hawkins proves in 2010 that most of this board and the press are IDOTS. He turns around the Buffs, gives us the Middle Finger, and takes a parallel job ANYWHERE but here.

I am convinced that Mrs. Hawkins hates CU and can't wait to get out of Boulder. This run hasn't just been the typical pressure cooker for a head coach. This involved her son, often booed at home. These guys aren't sticking around.

These guys aren't sticking around.

Good.

Hawk flopped here. He flopped badly. He has insulted the fanbase, insulted the prior coaching regime, bitched and moaned endlessly, and ran his mouth WAY over promising and WAY under delivering. He was supposed to do things the right way, but in reality, his GPA, off the field issues are no better than GB's (absent the phony trumped up scandal). The nepotism thing is there. Is that truly what is going on? I don't know, but it looks like it. I'll say this, IF Cody really is the best QB, DH has been a miserable failure at recruiting or developing a legit D1 QB.

Bottom line, four years of losing 67% of your games means you a flop. If by some miracle he goes .500 or better this year, I am fairly sure the spineless admin will keep him, but he just hasn't shown jack as to why anyone should believe he's competent at this level.

but...but...but Mizzou stuck with Gary Pinkel for a few down years. And Coach Mac wasn't exactly on fire when he started.

(Since we are stuck in a time warp, someone might as well go through the motions of providing a counterpoint)

Here's a dilemma I've faced up to since Bz's departure.

If Hawk loses miserably this year, he's gone.
But if Hawk turns it around, does he give Boulder the finger and leave for any other job the first chance he can? I think so.

So we are toast either way. Thanks.

Somehow, I'm not too worried about THAT scenario... :lol:

If you really think anyone is going to hire this guy after the terrible coaching job he has done here and, what's more, the even worse job of handling media and fans, you are mistaken. When programs hire new coaches, they are looking for proven winners (1) or guys who will be great with the fans and university (2). We thought we were getting both when we hired Hawkins. Turns out, we got neither.

I also think the manner in which he has handled his son playing here will raise a lot of questions about his judgment.

Bottom line, there isn't going to be a huge turnaround, and Dan Hawkins is not going to be a hot coaching commodity ever again. He doesn't know football and he doesn't have what it takes. He should be giving most of his paycheck to peterson and koetter, because without them, he would be a noname in cfb.

I have no love for this guy. He doesn't win, he doesn't do accountability, and he constantly complains and belittles the fans and the university. Him and his wife may hate Boulder? Too bad. I will never shed any tears for a guy who doesn't appear to have any clue what he's doing but somehow is earning a 7-figure salary.

The only question in my mind is how bad Hawkins is going to publicly trash the university when he is finally on his way out.

Last edited:
I am convinced that Mrs. Hawkins hates CU and can't wait to get out of Boulder. This run hasn't just been the typical pressure cooker for a head coach. This involved her son, often booed at home. These guys aren't sticking around.

I have met Misti Hawkins on more than one occasion. She has always been friendly, gracious and above all, works hard behind the scenes to make the buffs players and coaches - and even the coaches' wives and players parents - welcome. She's the one putting together dinners at her home for recruiting weekends, and I've heard she never complains when somebody is inviting the players over to her house during the season, too. I am sure she hates a lot of things, and it must be incredibly painful to hear all this uncensored talk about her family, but to say she "hates CU" is a wild speculation and seems unfair to me.

You haven't seen her quoted saying a single negative thing to anybody about anything. How about we play fair and do the same about her?

Misti Hawkins is a wonderful woman. She has shown nothing but class.

I was a vocal supporter of one more year because I thought the talent level and depth in the program was much worst than casual fans would believe, and probably a lot of serious fans. I can't explain 2009 and the utter failure of the O-Line, Punt and FG teams, along with the early season melt-down of our D. But we are very young and I think the talent we've assembled is the best we've had since the early GB years. One more year was worth it to me, just to find out, for sure, without a doubt that Hawkins wasn't our guy.
I'd like you to back that statement. The early GB years were mostly Nue recruits along with a mix of GB - we are talking freaking serious studage. Andre Gurode, Tyler Braton, Chris Brown, Dan Graham, Jeremy Bloom, Justin Bates, Wayne Lucier, Marwan Hage, Joe Klopfenstein, Quinn Sypniewski, Mason Crosby. There are no players on the current depth chart that come anywhere close to these guys.

Last edited:
If I had a kid who was a D2 or a mid-major level player I wouldn't have a problem with him playing for Dan Hawkins. I think that despite some of our anger and some serious errors he has made in the media Dan Hawkins is a good, sincere man. I think he truly wants his players to do well both on the field and in life, he cares about people and my impression is that he actually cares about CU. The problem is that he is simply overmatched by this job. He won big a Boise, he may have inherited a program that was already at the top and the program stayed there without him when he left but for five years he was the man in charge and he won a lot of football games .

For whatever reason he has not been able to translate that success to CU. He has been to stubborn to make the changes needed to win in this program, he has been loyal to a fault (and to his detriment) to his son and to his group of assistants. At Boise he was known for developing lower ranked recruits into quality players including some who have gone on to the NFL. At CU he has recruited some quality players but failed to consistently develop them into players who can win.

My concern is not that he will have a breakout season and leave. I don't think his ego would let him leave once he started to win and I don't think anybody with a job that is better than CU is going to want him with one good season after four terrible ones anyway. My fear is that he will win just enough to convince some clown like Benson to keep him around another year and the needed change won't happen.

This thread is a joke right? Sources? Smack talk at a University event? Come on, really? I know it is a slow time of the year but this needs really needs to end. If any of you on this board actually knew Hawkins or Bohn or Kiesau or any of these guys..then post away. Otherwise...give me a break. This $hit is hard to read.

This thread is a joke right? Sources? Smack talk at a University event? Come on, really? I know it is a slow time of the year but this needs really needs to end. If any of you on this board actually knew Hawkins or Bohn or Kiesau or any of these guys..then post away. Otherwise...give me a break. This $hit is hard to read.

What is so horrible on this thread? Do I have to personally know Hawkins in order to see that he has not got it done at CU? It is a message board and this thread is mild compared to some.

Someone got an A in sensitivity training :lol:

Man, stick around! I like your viewpoint! I wish you'd been around in, like, November/December. :lol:

Man, stick around! I like your viewpoint! I wish you'd been around in, like, November/December. :lol:

I assumed Dixon was really DBT signing in under a new name....too bad it is a separate person....

I supported him even after the CSU game...the Toledo game was killer for me. And, of course, his flippant, bull**** attitude the rest of the season...his burned to the ground comment was icing on the cake.

^^^^This^^^ Identical story for me. Toledo was the killer and then the endless drivel coming from his pie hole.

Not to worry. There are not many out there to add to the hoard defending Hawk. You can add a few more if you can find them. 8- )

Brad, Brad, Brad. Now why dost thou persecute me? Would it not be so if I were to denounce him? Thou persecutest me too much. :wow: WTF am I saying?

Anyway, I'm not defending Hawkins. He can defend himself if he wants. I think I'm on record as arguing that he is getting another year and that we should support him THIS YEAR. Sure, if he screws the pooch again, "see ya later." But, for now, he represents CU and we should support that.

This thread....

toxic-waste.jpg

Brad, Brad, Brad. Now why dost thou persecute me? Would it not be so if I were to denounce him? Thou persecutest me too much. :wow: WTF am I saying?

Anyway, I'm not defending Hawkins. He can defend himself if he wants. I think I'm on record as arguing that he is getting another year and that we should support him THIS YEAR. Sure, if he screws the pooch again, "see ya later." But, for now, he represents CU and we should support that.

Not to worry, I renewed my seats and will be there every weekend pulling for the Buffs. Every coaching mistake and every lose will be amplified this year though. I laid down my cash for the donation and the cost for the 4 tickets. I have done so since 85 and that gives me the right to support the program, not necessarily the coach. He has not earned it and supporting the program in my opinion is calling for change. Supporting the program does not necessarily mean blindly believing or not criticizing the coach. We will disagree on the definition of support. He wins, he will start to get some support. The program got support before Hawkins was here and it will get it when Hawkins is gone (hopefully sometime during the next season!).

Should we?

Everyone around here knows I was one of Dan's biggest supporters. I still think he can become a good coach imo. But that's not going to happen here. When you install a new offense every single year, stubbornly support and retain subpar assistants, refuse to play you best players, refuse to handle the media like a HC coaching a D1 team should be, still telling everyone that Cody will play QB despite the fact that Dan already admitted that he should have never asked Cody to come to CU....I could go on and on.

I feel your pain DBT, but what do they say about people that do the same things over and over again and expect different results?

Maybe Danny will hit a homerun and actually produce a winning season, I still think we should look at hiring a different coach. I feel that Dan is in over his head. I think the way his demeanor with the press has changed for the worse over the past 4 years has shown this. I know it's a small detail, but it still tells a lot imo. Dan would be better off at a small school, much like BSU, to coach at.

I still remain a BIG fan of Dan's. I think he's a good person and a great coach, I have nothing but good things to say about him 99% of the time. I just things aren't working out here in Boulder for him. It's time to move on. A change for both parties would be a good thing. No?

Last edited:
If Talkins was half the coach that he thinks he is, well -------------------------------- I really don't need to go their. Everyone already knows the answer.

Dan Hawkins is a douche bag.. The guy has made his own bed.. the majority of fans supported him all the way up to the CSU game this year so he has no reason to complain about lack of fan support.. Fans don't support losers.. If he doesn't get that maybe he should find another ****ing profession..

Hey, JimmyHugeBuffGroove, you slipped, forgetting your alternate egos' names for the coach. :smile2:

look, by being nice to the admin and the coaches when they pull this **** we just perpetuate the ****ed idea in their heads that we as fans don't care. And that they can pull this program damaging **** with no repercussions. And we make it easier for them to do it AGAIN.

look, by being nice to the admin and the coaches when they pull this **** we just perpetuate the ****ed idea in their heads that we as fans don't care. And that they can pull this program damaging **** with no repercussions. And we make it easier for them to do it AGAIN.
Pull what ****? What **** did they pull?

sorry, I find it odd that the "friend of a friend" report hasn't even been whispered about anywhere else. I'm not going to refute it, but I'm not going to swallow it either.
I can't imagine any Div 1 coach, not Dan Hawkins or anyone else, sitting in the corner and muttering out loud as was reported. He's well aware that there are people around hanging on his every word, he's just not likely to criticize the fans, the program, the administration, etc. in a public setting. So accepting the report as is, ... I can't do it. I can't demand repercussions for an event for which we have one second- or third-hand witness at best, and seems totally out of character.

sorry, I find it odd that the "friend of a friend" report hasn't even been whispered about anywhere else. I'm not going to refute it, but I'm not going to swallow it either.
I can't imagine any Div 1 coach, not Dan Hawkins or anyone else, sitting in the corner and muttering out loud as was reported. He's well aware that there are people around hanging on his every word, he's just not likely to criticize the fans, the program, the administration, etc. in a public setting. So accepting the report as is, ... I can't do it. I can't demand repercussions for an event for which we have one second- or third-hand witness at best, and seems totally out of character.

:iagree:
Most logical response in the entire thread. We have enough to discuss with Hawkins based on his on the field actions, no need to go looking for phantom issues.

Dan has criticized the fan base. I have heard of him doing it at a recent charity golfing event. He said something to the effect that if he had more support from fans and boosters he would've been able to get more done here. He's right in some ways, but he's wrong to bring it up in the first place.

Just a rumor I've heard out there in Boulder.

Back