What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other games weekend of 9/20-9/22

Don't they have a crazy amount of true freshman starting on defense? They definitely have a senior laden offense but their D is very young.
Doing a quick google search looks like only 2 with 2 more in the 2 deep. I was definitely thinking about the offense mostly

Kentucky follows up a stunning win in Gainesville with an equally improbable win against Mississippi State.

Is Kentucky for real? I have a hard time believing so.

They have a great RB and a really favorable schedule down the stretch. If they split the next two weeks (South Carolina and @A&M), they are a legitimate threat to Georgia in the East, and they get Georgia at home.

So, if you are close, just throw the ball forward and worst case you get the ball back at the 1?

I admittedly don't have a perfect solution, but I think the status quo is fairly extreme either way. I see your point that ball security should matter more near the goalline and just giving them the ball back at the spot where the ball went out of bounds would probably have the exact opposite effect.

The Ringer has a few suggestions here

a) The opposing teams gets the ball at the spot where the ball went out
b) Offense retains possession, but gets the ball at the XX yard line (25? 30?)
c) One untimed down from the spot where it went out, if the offense gets into the EZ, they get the ball at the spot where it went out, if the defense keeps them out they get the ball at the 20/25

Isn't that what it was before? ****, Idk anymore.
Nope.

If that was the rule, no one would have been saying: "You know what would be better and make a lot more sense? If the offense fumbles out of the field of play, let's keep it the way it is everywhere on the field -- except if it rolls out of bounds through the end zone. If that happens, we'll give the ball to the other team and advance it 20 yards for them." No one would have been saying that because it's stupid. But since that's what has always been and people are used to they defend the rule.

I admittedly don't have a perfect solution, but I think the status quo is fairly extreme either way. I see your point that ball security should matter more near the goalline and just giving them the ball back at the spot where the ball went out of bounds would probably have the exact opposite effect.

c) One untimed down from the spot where it went out, if the offense gets into the EZ, they get the ball at the spot where it went out, if the defense keeps them out they get the ball at the 20/25
Don't fumble. Problem solved.

tenor.gif

I like the way that guy thinks. It really is the dumbest rule in football, but giving the ball back to the offense at the point of a fumble seems to be agreeing that turnovers in the red zone mean nothing. Some good stuff there.

What about punishing the offense if it gets fumbled out the back of the endzone instead?

Fumble it out the endzone, you lose a down and the ball gets placed at the 10 yard line.

What about punishing the offense if it gets fumbled out the back of the endzone instead?

Fumble it out the endzone, you lose a down and the ball gets placed at the 10 yard line.

That's what I was wondering about as well. Could you make a difference between the end zone sideline and the back of the end zone or should end zone be end zone?

That's what I was wondering about as well. Could you make a difference between the end zone sideline and the back of the end zone or should end zone be end zone?

I dont think it really matters to make that distinction. Maybe that is just me.

What if it was 4th down for the offense? You give the defense the ball where they fumbled it?

Make it, ball comes out to the 10 always. If offense fumbles on 4th and it goes through the endzone, your loss of down turns it over to the defense.
I actually like this. Doesn't kill either team but not an absolute game changer for either team.

Nope.

If that was the rule, no one would have been saying: "You know what would be better and make a lot more sense? If the offense fumbles out of the field of play, let's keep it the way it is everywhere on the field -- except if it rolls out of bounds through the end zone. If that happens, we'll give the ball to the other team and advance it 20 yards for them." No one would have been saying that because it's stupid. But since that's what has always been and people are used to they defend the rule.
It's a crap rule then. Idk if I'd go, what has always been, get ya though. Why not just make it simple? No sudden death, each team gets a possession but from a kickoff, whoever scores first has to defend too. The fumble rule part, Idk? Bring it back to the spot if it doesn't go through the zone or out of bounds? I don't know, just wondering what y'all think.

Last edited:
Back