What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pregame Thread - CU vs CSU at Mile High

So whose the breakout player in this years game?

I got Olugbode. With Tupuo lining up against a brand new center who is probably the most questionable player on their OL, the LBs are going to be rushing Grayson quite often and Olugbode has speed. Lindsay would be my next choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So whose the breakout player in this years game?

I got Olugbode. With Tupuo lining up against a brand new center who is probably the most questionable player on their OL, the LBs are going to be rushing Grayson quite often and Olugbode has speed. Lindsay would be my next choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chido gets 2 sacks and a INT

Usual mantra from the media this year. Morning show guys were talking about how CSU should beat the crap outta CU this season. They did have Chris Landry on the show, and when they could stop talking NFL, they talked about the teams. Chris had a better take and even talked about the new facilities and getting the administration back on board with football, but still seemed to think CU was in trouble this year. They didn't bother him with a prediction, but he said that Sefo is a better QB then Grayson (saw both at the Manning Camp), and said that CSU had their work cut out for them with their OLine, but claimed that their LT will be a high NFL pick. Said that Munyer, Gillam (one of his favorite players in the nation), Henderson, and 'the kickers' all would play for other P12 programs, but that's it. Said the total lack of pass rushers will kill us in the pass-happy Pac-12. Said it is the worst roster in the P12, but that HCMM has recruiting getting better and is on the right path building a program.

He also thinks the if McElwain has any success at CSU, he is gone to a P5 conference.

Usual mantra from the media this year. Morning show guys were talking about how CSU should beat the crap outta CU this season. They did have Chris Landry on the show, and when they could stop talking NFL, they talked about the teams. Chris had a better take and even talked about the new facilities and getting the administration back on board with football, but still seemed to think CU was in trouble this year. They didn't bother him with a prediction, but he said that Sefo is a better QB then Grayson (saw both at the Manning Camp), and said that CSU had their work cut out for them with their OLine, but claimed that their LT will be a high NFL pick. Said that Munyer, Gillam (one of his favorite players in the nation), Henderson, and 'the kickers' all would play for other P12 programs, but that's it. Said the total lack of pass rushers will kill us in the pass-happy Pac-12. Said it is the worst roster in the P12, but that HCMM has recruiting getting better and is on the right path building a program.

He also thinks the if McElwain has any success at CSU, he is gone to a P5 conference.

I heard most of the Landy piece and I think he was reasonably accurate. Not what the host wanted to hear but they let him talk.

He did talk about M2 making significant progress but that he was doing a complete rebuilding job, not just fixing some things.

I found it difficult last year to see progress, mostly I think because we were so below the level of our competition.
I saw progress in the very first game. WAY better coached and prepared. And that was, what, 8 months after Mac was hired?

I'm talking about improvement during the year, not year over year. We may have improved, but I didn't see a great deal of improvement during the year. Probably more a comment on my ability to see it than it being there.
Well, first, the competition got much stiffer, so it's hard to compare and, second, compared to the year before, we were improved. Not close to wear we need to be though. But even opposing coaches noted how much better we were than the year before.

FYI, it is probably somewhere in this 37 page thread but in case it hasn´t been said, I have heard so many people say this game will be way different than last year because PRich is not here and he blew them up last year.

While there may be some truth to that, people seem to be forgetting how badly our special teams played and the 2 massive returns we gave up. Our ST play improved greatly over the course of the year and should be better this year with better athletes across the board. So you wipe out PRich´s 2 huge plays and wipe out CSU´s 2 huge returns and you still get a decent CU victory.

From the coaches on down, CSU is 100% confident in winning this game.
Anyone see Sparkles' interview? He's pulling the old "Lou Holtz" gamesmanship crap. With a **** eating grin, he said something to the effect of, "They have great athletes and are going to be tough. But we'll take our little guys and show up." :puke: Can't stand that guy. I hope Mac owns him!

My main confidence lies in the fact that CSU has rebuilding going on with both lines, and their strength goes against ours (Passing Attack vs Secondary).

I'm not a Grayson believer, but he might push the envelope on Friday to try and get a CU win in his final year.

My other bit of confidence is that the pattern for this game has been CU wins 2, CSU wins 1... rinse repeat. We are scheduled for win 2.

If they play him like they played him last year, they will. I think Spruce's production (7-10 catches, ~ 100 yards) is a near guarantee. What will be the game breaker is whether the attention paid to spruce allows the rest of the WR's to bust out for big gains.

Same questions to you btw.

I.e. What happens when we line up 5 receivers - Spruce, Bobo, Fields, Ross, Goodson? Seems like a lot to cover on one play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd have to say just watching some clips and the 2 people that really impressed me....although yes they were highlight reels of the spring game etc......were #2 and #19...really good speed with Adkins and Devin Ross looked like he had crazy glue on his hands.

Recent era wiki results below. I would hope we would blow them out but honestly as long as we win even if by 1 pt. I'm fine, gotta win and move on. Need to be 3-1 coming out of Hawaii game.

September 17, 1983Colorado31–3BoulderColorado 44–14–2
September 7, 1985Colorado23–10BoulderColorado 45–14–2
September 6, 1986Colorado State23–7BoulderColorado 45–15–2
October 3, 1987Colorado29–16Fort CollinsColorado 46–15–2
October 1, 1988Colorado27–23Fort CollinsColorado 47–15–2
September 9, 1989Colorado45–20BoulderColorado 48–15–2
September 5, 1992Colorado37–17BoulderColorado 49–15–2
September 9, 1995Colorado42–14BoulderColorado 50–15–2
September 7, 1996Colorado48–34Fort CollinsColorado 51–15–2
September 6, 1997Colorado31–21BoulderColorado 52–15–2
September 5, 1998Colorado42–14DenverColorado 53–15–2
September 4, 1999Colorado State41–14DenverColorado 53–16–2
September 2, 2000Colorado State28–24DenverColorado 53–17–2
September 1, 2001Colorado41–14DenverColorado 54–17–2
August 31, 2002Colorado State19–14DenverColorado 54–18–2
August 30, 2003Colorado42–35DenverColorado 55–18–2
September 4, 2004Colorado27–24BoulderColorado 56–18–2
September 3, 2005Colorado31–28BoulderColorado 57–18–2
September 9, 2006Colorado State14–10DenverColorado 57–19–2
September 1, 2007Colorado31–28[SUP]OT[/SUP]DenverColorado 58–19–2
August 31, 2008Colorado38–17DenverColorado 59–19–2
September 6, 2009Colorado State23–17BoulderColorado 59–20–2
September 4, 2010Colorado24–3DenverColorado 60–20–2
September 17, 2011Colorado28–14DenverColorado 61–20–2
September 1, 2012Colorado State22–17DenverColorado 61–21–2
September 1, 2013Colorado41–27DenverColorado 62–21–

Made me pretty pumped for the both running and passing game.....more so the run game with speed, haven't had that in quite a while with a 1,2 punch of Powell's power and now speed around the end.

We rarely lose this game when we score > 18 points. Not that complicated.

Good point. If the team is scoring points, then they become much more confident, and the talent gap starts to kick in. The thing that drives me bonkers is how many times we have built a 14-17 point lead in this game to only let them back in. If MM can coach this team to step on their throats with a lead then we could cruise comfortably.

Back