What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pregame Thread - CU vs CSU at Mile High

I don't believe this, but McElwain says that Cartwright (TE) and James (OLB) are 'on the bubble' (questionable I guess?) for the game on Friday.

I don't believe this, but McElwain says that Cartwright (TE) and James (OLB) are 'on the bubble' (questionable I guess?) for the game on Friday.

Ya, I don't buy it and I am sure neither does our coaching staff. McElwain tries to be tricky often enough to know better in this case.

The main problem with this game is how CU fans react to it. There's no enthusiasm about it being fun.

I rarely hear a CU fan say that he is excited about what the Buffs can achieve with a win.

It's almost always that I hear CU fans worrying about how bad it would suck if the Buffs lost.

The RMS is a "fear of failure" event on our calendars. And after a win, it's not much of a celebration. More like a sigh of relief.

That's not fun.

The main problem with this game is how CU fans react to it. There's no enthusiasm about it being fun.

I rarely hear a CU fan say that he is excited about what the Buffs can achieve with a win.

It's almost always that I hear CU fans worrying about how bad it would suck if the Buffs lost.

The RMS is a "fear of failure" event on our calendars. And after a win, it's not much of a celebration. More like a sigh of relief.

That's not fun.

It's almost exactly like sex!

very good point.
I agree with you 100%.

I think we EXPECT to win, so it's more of a big game for CSU, and a season breaker for CU wiht a loss.
CSU has more to gain as it would be considered a big win, but for a PAC12 team, we SHOULD win in this scenario.

Makes it tough.

I think, as much as it pains me, we need to realize that CSU is a formidable opponent, and they have proven that they can
hang with CU in many ways.

Might make the game more fun overall.

It's almost always that I hear CU fans worrying about how bad it would suck if the Buffs lost.w

That's not fun.

the very definition of everything to lose/nothing to gain. There is no prestige in this victory. No one nationally is impressed. Lambs just can't seem to or don't want to understand this. It is not two teams of equal status nationally squaring off.

I think, as much as it pains me, we need to realize that CSU is a formidable opponent, and they have proven that they can
hang with CU in many ways.
This is my train of thought. Obviously CU still wins this more often than they lose so it's not even a 50/50 thing, but the series hasn't been so lopsided in recent memory that CU without a doubt should expect to win this game every single year (given the makeup of the teams presently and in the recent past). Absolutely expecting and demanding a win is just setting yourself up for failure from time to time. CU hasn't been good enough/CSU hasn't been bad enough for this to be realistic. On a related note, this sort of mindset (that CSU could never ever beat CU) probably contributes to CSU fans getting uppity when they do win (mentioned either earlier in this thread or in another). Acting like the two teams are worlds apart is basically trash talk, which then leads to trash talking from the other side when CSU wins. Just an observation.

Last edited:
[tweet]504384205954883584[/tweet]

tumblr_mnw3hmyk0O1qgapm9o1_400.gif

This is my train of thought. Obviously CU still wins this more often than they lose so it's not even a 50/50 thing, but the series hasn't been so lopsided in recent memory that CU without a doubt should expect to win this game every single year (given the makeup of the teams presently and in the recent past). Absolutely expecting and demanding a win is just setting yourself up for failure from time to time. CU hasn't been good enough/CSU hasn't been bad enough for this to be realistic. On a related note, this sort of mindset (that CSU could never ever beat CU) probably contributes to CSU fans getting uppity when they do win (mentioned either earlier in this thread or in another). Acting like the two teams are worlds apart is basically trash talk, which then leads to trash talking from the other side when CSU wins. Just an observation.

That's not accurate. There is a large and growing divide between CU and CSU. Every year as the PAC-12 money rolls in CSU will fall further behind. CSU had a window of opportunity, like Louisville, TCU and Boise. Loiusville and TCU invested and took their football seriously now they both play in big money leagues. Boise can't get over their geography and school rating to get in the club(PAC won't take them).

CSU didn't invest at the apex of their success, and that window has all but closed, new stadium or not. The gap will continue to grow. With Rick George CU is taking their football more seriously and he was here when we had great success in the past, so he knows what it looks like. Going forward it should be the expectation that CU is always the favorite against non P-5 conference schools.

No. If a specific result for an annual event has occurred approximately four out of five times during my lifetime, I would rationally expect that result to occur again EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

No. If a specific result for an annual event has occurred approximately four out of five times during my lifetime, I would rationally expect that result to occur again EVERY SINGLE YEAR.
This is why we expect a win. We expect a win because we shut out CSU as much as they beat us. In one of our worst stretches ever in this rivalry it has been business as usual. In CSU's best days it was business as usual for us.

That's not accurate. There is a large and growing divide between CU and CSU. Every year as the PAC-12 money rolls in CSU will fall further behind. CSU had a window of opportunity, like Louisville, TCU and Boise. Loiusville and TCU invested and took their football seriously now they both play in big money leagues. Boise can't get over their geography and school rating to get in the club(PAC won't take them).

CSU didn't invest at the apex of their success, and that window has all but closed, new stadium or not. The gap will continue to grow. With Rick George CU is taking their football more seriously and he was here when we had great success in the past, so he knows what it looks like. Going forward it should be the expectation that CU is always the favorite against non P-5 conference schools.

You think/hope. No question CU is much better positioned but who knows what the CFB landscape will look like in the future. I can't really refute anything you are saying but at this point it's pure speculation. CU is going to have to get a lot better and/or CSU is going to have to get a lot worse for this to stop being a competitive game. There are plenty of non P5 teams that would presently be very competitive with or beat CU.

This is why we expect a win. We expect a win because we shut out CSU as much as they beat us. In one of our worst stretches ever in this rivalry it has been business as usual. In CSU's best days it was business as usual for us.
Looking at this series historically doesn't seen the best way to gauge the competitiveness of both teams today. I'm not saying completely throw history out, you guys can feel good about all those wins (I probably would if it were me so I'm not blaming you for bringing it up), but obviously things have shifted a bit since 50 years ago. That doesn't have any bearing on what will play out over the next 5, 10, 20, whatever years but I assume you are thinking you are going to go back to that. Maybe that will happen, but the last 15 or so years indicate CU has a better than average change of winning this game but a loss every few years should be expected.

You think/hope. No question CU is much better positioned but who knows what the CFB landscape will look like in the future. I can't really refute anything you are saying but at this point it's pure speculation. CU is going to have to get a lot better and/or CSU is going to have to get a lot worse for this to stop being a competitive game. There are plenty of non P5 teams that would presently be very competitive with or beat CU.

for at least the next decade CU is set to reap big dollars from PAC 12 conference membership. You can pretend that won't make a difference but it won't make it true. CSU will survive on a shoestring with lightly attended home games.

It's apparently CU v CSU day on the fan, so I'm listening. It's really annoying that so many CU fans are feeding the trolls right now. Quite embarrassing. Vic is begging for someone to feed him something positive, but his cohost is just announcing every stupid, idiotic text he's getting. Ugh.

Back