What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

promoted QB Davis Webb Transferring to COLORADO from TTU (Committed to COLORADO)

Would you assume that any graduate transfer QB is basically told, "The starting job is yours unless you get hurt"? I simply don't see a scenario where a graduate transfer goes to any program that doesn't say that. I know these guys aren't afraid to compete but given the situation, why wouldn't you make that demand?

I think it's reasonable to say the starting job would be his to lose, and that the coaches tell him as much.

I really doubt anything definitive will be coming out until this summer. If I were Webb, I'd start the conversations at the places I had interest, and then see how the post-spring rosters shook out. If the front runner Bammer QB prospect went out with an injury in spring ball, for instance, all prior bets would be off. Hopefully, after he weighs his options, CU is the best fit.

Would you assume that any graduate transfer QB is basically told, "The starting job is yours unless you get hurt"? I simply don't see a scenario where a graduate transfer goes to any program that doesn't say that. I know these guys aren't afraid to compete but given the situation, why wouldn't you make that demand?
Because you can't make that demand?

It ain't based on who's coolest, the guy who plays is the guy who delivers - no matter the position, presumably.

"You" wouldn't make that demand because he simply doesn't have the leverage or ability. In our case, Sefo, Apsay, or Montez could all out perform him, making any petulant demands pointless and detrimental.

No matter, this team would probably benefit greatly by having Webb onboard, I'm all in.

I really doubt anything definitive will be coming out until this summer. If I were Webb, I'd start the conversations at the places I had interest, and then see how the post-spring rosters shook out. If the front runner Bammer QB prospect went out with an injury in spring ball, for instance, all prior bets would be off. Hopefully, after he weighs his options, CU is the best fit.
Makes sense. Would that cause a conflict between a team hyping their young QB after spring ball in order to sell tickets for next year, and sandbagging so that Webb sees an opportunity?

Makes sense. Would that cause a conflict between a team hyping their young QB after spring ball in order to sell tickets for next year, and sandbagging so that Webb sees an opportunity?
Something tells me, with the amount of talent they are able to pull, Saban isn't going to be begging Webb for his services. Alabama isn't Oregon.

You basically lay out the depth chart for him to see. He is not dumb, he knows he would have a very good chance of winning the starting job.

I'm a bit late to the party here but Sefo has had 3 years as a starter here and despite a promising first year hasn't shown signs of being the player that we need him to be. Redshirting him to keep him in the mix for a 5th year in 2017 would be nuts, and I'm sure that the coaching staff understands that. A three-way QB controversy in 2017 is not what this program needs. I'm pretty sure if we bring in a guy like Davis Webb for 2016 that it's a "thanks for all of your help in turning the program around and best wishes in the future" sort of arrangement for Sefo, and that's just part of life for just about everyone, "good guy" or not. The sooner we move on, the better, IMO, and a grad. transfer for one year for 2016 seems like a perfect bridge to a competition between Jones and Montez in 2017. Actually, it's pretty close to an ideal situation.

I believe, minus any mop up minutes, Sefo has played his last football already at CU. The coaching staff does not make all of these moves at QB if you have the guy on your team already (3 year starter or not). Next year, Montez and Jones can battle it out and the following year Montez and Sheriron.

My question would be, do you honor Noyer's commitment or use that in a need area (i.e. OL, LB, CB, TE)? Apsay appears to be a solid 3rd string QB.

I believe, minus any mop up minutes, Sefo has played his last football already at CU. The coaching staff does not make all of these moves at QB if you have the guy on your team already (3 year starter or not). Next year, Montez and Jones can battle it out and the following year Montez and Sheriron.

My question would be, do you honor Noyer's commitment or use that in a need area (i.e. OL, LB, CB, TE)? Apsay appears to be a solid 3rd string QB.

I still don't understand why there's so much chatter regarding Noyer in relation to Jones coming in. You take a QB every year and Noyer is the only QB in this year's class. It has very little impact on his situation. If the Buffs are fortunate enough to flip Dymond Lee and part of the deal is that he comes in as a QB, then I think the Noyer talk has some merit.

I still don't understand why there's so much chatter regarding Noyer in relation to Jones coming in. You take a QB every year and Noyer is the only QB in this year's class. It has very little impact on his situation. If the Buffs are fortunate enough to flip Dymond Lee and part of the deal is that he comes in as a QB, then I think the Noyer talk has some merit.

If they flip Lee and tell him he can get a shot at QB, that shot should last all of 1 or 2 days of fall camp. Great athlete that should translate well at WR.

If they flip Lee and tell him he can get a shot at QB, that shot should last all of 1 or 2 days of fall camp. Great athlete that should translate well at WR.

That's what pretty much everyone other than Lee seems to believe.

I didn't blink, regarding Noyer, with the transfer of Jones. However, two transfers coming in tells me that the staff is not comfortable in their current situation. Noyer is an okay recruit, but his stats do not jump out at you, even against average opponents. I am saying they can get more value by using that slot in a position of need. QB is not a position of need with Webb (if he arrives), Sheriron and Montez and Apsay backing them up. OL, LB, TE and CB are critical needs opposed to fourth string QB.

Dymond Lee, no matter where he lines up, would be a great and welcomed signing!

I'm a bit late to the party here but Sefo has had 3 years as a starter here and despite a promising first year hasn't shown signs of being the player that we need him to be. Redshirting him to keep him in the mix for a 5th year in 2017 would be nuts, and I'm sure that the coaching staff understands that. A three-way QB controversy in 2017 is not what this program needs. I'm pretty sure if we bring in a guy like Davis Webb for 2016 that it's a "thanks for all of your help in turning the program around and best wishes in the future" sort of arrangement for Sefo, and that's just part of life for just about everyone, "good guy" or not. The sooner we move on, the better, IMO, and a grad. transfer for one year for 2016 seems like a perfect bridge to a competition between Jones and Montez in 2017. Actually, it's pretty close to an ideal situation.

I agree with this, in theory, but us Buff fans often forget that we have some pretty emotional coaches at the helm. Mac has a soft spot for Sefo (at least it appears that way), and Tad has shown this a bit as well with how much he plays XT.

The kid is a 3 year starter and shows a lot of heart, even considering the injury, it'll be hard for Mac to tell him to hang them up.

I didn't blink, regarding Noyer, with the transfer of Jones. However, two transfers coming in tells me that the staff is not comfortable in their current situation. Noyer is an okay recruit, but his stats do not jump out at you, even against average opponents. I am saying they can get more value by using that slot in a position of need. QB is not a position of need with Webb (if he arrives), Sheriron and Montez and Apsay backing them up. OL, LB, TE and CB are critical needs opposed to fourth string QB.

Dymond Lee, no matter where he lines up, would be a great and welcomed signing!

The Davis Webb talk just says they don't want to go into a bowl or bust year with Apsay or Montez at QB, and thats not factoring in what happens with Liufau's injury. Intriguing prospect-looks good on film, and was impressive from what I remember of him. The fact that he overtook Mayfield (who granted wasn't the player at TT he was this past year in Norman) says something. Only concern was the benching-I've read things about him getting benched for bad decision making, and not because Mahomes was a better athlete.

As far as Liufau, he's not really relevant in this conversation IMO-One, he may not even be ready for this coming season. Two, we've seen the best of him already. If we can get Webb, its a no brainer.

So, he can talk about transfers before they transfer?

you can't specifically mention recruits, which he didn't. There are lots of quarterbacks from west texas. It is just a coincidence that everyone knows who he is talking about.

Back